Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Editing PC

Options
  • 06-06-2015 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Looking at changing my current pc into a video editing one as I have recently set up a YouTube channel.
    Just wondering what specs are important for a video editing pc. I'd imagine that I should prioritize on RAM and the CPU. Is that right?
    Does anything else play a big part? And does anybody have suggestions. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

RAM and CPU yeah, if its game recordings I'd recommend an NVidia card for Shadow play too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

It'll be for recordings via my camera so won't be screen grabbing. Just rendering and editing videos for the mean time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

fast storage is important too

Really? Why so? So I'd need an SSD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

depends what type of footage you'll be editing but if your hard drives aren't fast enough to read/write the footage in real time then that'll be your bottleneck. you don't necessarily need an ssd although I'd recommend you get one for your os.

also sheer storage volume will be important so you can just keep all your footage and not have to move it around constantly to keep enough space to continue editing. hard drives and ssds become very slow when they're nearly full, too.

if its just a hobby kind of thing then get the best cpu you can afford, and 8 or 16gb of ram, a small ssd for your os and software and a couple TBs of storage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭W0LFMAN

I do alot of video editing. And the one part I couldn't do without it my anomophic 21:9 monitor. 2560x1080. Gives me massive view of the time line. I see a great part of my editing at once without sliding around much. Thus faster and better work produced.

W0LFMAN wrote: »
    I do alot of video editing. And the one part I couldn't do without it my anomophic 21:9 monitor. 2560x1080. Gives me massive view of the time line. I see a great part of my editing at once without sliding around much. Thus faster and better work produced.

Any recommendations?

Also a small digress, is there anywhere that offers the facility to pay weekly/monthly for parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Hardwareversand has a monthly thing, not sure if its international but worth a shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I do audio editing as well and I agree that 21:9 is the biz for it. 29" 2560x1080 though. Made the mistake of going for 3440x1440 34". Too big. Stuck with it now. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭W0LFMAN

Any anomophic monitor will be good. I use the Dell IPS one. It's perfect but I know the LG is fabulous as well.

Advertisement