Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Chamber of Commerce

Options
  • 06-06-2015 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

There seems to be a furore going on at the moment on the Sligo Chamber of Commerce Facebook page at the moment, in the review section. As I understand it, they have apparently told a long established business, "Homestore and More", that they can no longer sell cookery or kitchenware. They are only allowed to sell storage ware.

https://m.facebook.com/SligoChamber

Having been in that store, a huge portion of their trade is in kitchenware. So effectively, this would be a death sentence for this shop.

I've been trying to find out about what powers a chamber of commerce have, with little luck. Can anyone tell me how they are allowed to dictate what a business can sell? It seems very anti-competitive, undemocratic even. I don't remember being asked to vote for any of the board's members.

Sounds to me like a bunch of gangster business owners stepping way outside their remit. Am I wrong about this. Surely Homestore and More should simply be able to laugh at the "demand" and carry on as normal? Nothing would surprise me in this country though?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

In certain circumstances, companies are let property or granted planning permission from a local authority stipulating they provide a specific service.

However, in the normal run of things, an association of individuals, with zero actual power can't so squat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

garbarrage wrote: »
    There seems to be a furore going on at the moment on the Sligo Chamber of Commerce Facebook page at the moment, in the review section. As I understand it, they have apparently told a long established business, "Homestore and More", that they can no longer sell cookery or kitchenware. They are only allowed to sell storage ware.

https://m.facebook.com/SligoChamber

Having been in that store, a huge portion of their trade is in kitchenware. So effectively, this would be a death sentence for this shop.

I've been trying to find out about what powers a chamber of commerce have, with little luck. Can anyone tell me how they are allowed to dictate what a business can sell? It seems very anti-competitive, undemocratic even. I don't remember being asked to vote for any of the board's members.

Sounds to me like a bunch of gangster business owners stepping way outside their remit. Am I wrong about this. Surely Homestore and More should simply be able to laugh at the "demand" and carry on as normal? Nothing would surprise me in this country though?

The planning permission for the unit in question is for "Bulky goods sale only", hence HSM are in contravention of the planning and the high court ruled against them.

Its HSM that were "undemocratic" as they would have known the planning restriction before they took the lease. (its a widely published document and EVERY retailer would have access to it)

Chamber of commerce objected to their use of the unit for the sale of small goods as their primary sales and taking advantage of lower rates and lower rent to maximise their profits (it certainly didn't reduce their ripoff prices)

HSM are now just abiding by the high court ruling.

Imagine if everyone ignored planning! - You could have a welder working next door to you.

Advertisement