Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things AH does well, and not so well

Options
  • 06-06-2015 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

in general I think the standard of discussion at this neck the woods is deep, often passionate even aggressively so sometimes. people put forth very good arguments on topics close to their hearts. I didn't think much of AH starting off but it grew on me with the quality of discussion over the past while and the effort and thought that goes into people's arguments. I'm now convinced that's it not all cheap toilet humour and innuendo.

where I feel AH lets itself down is discussions on gender. they are very much lock central on here. It's a shame it has to come to that because of a few ''out there'' comments and opinions. Feminism and rape also seem to be sore spots that AH struggle with. It also seems when stories concerning minority groups are discussed, generalising creeps in and it goes downhill from there.

It's a bit of a let down when you click into a certain thread and its' not what you think it is, or something completely trivial and obscure like '' oh I burnt my toast im so upset, any advice?'' I would gradually like to see less click bait titles.

So what have you to offer AH in terms of praise and criticism?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

They do a bad mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Not great on repairs.
    Or giving directions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Good - AH lets people say what the want (to a point).

Bad - AH reminds us that we have backward, bigoted people. A few Russian trolls, Nutjobs wanting a communist revolution, freeloaders, snobs etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Good on pointless conscious brain piss dribble and occassional humor and wit.

Bad on, abortion, religion, institutions, celebs, compassion.

Although ocassional great moments like play to kills thread where everyone comes together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Bad: overly censored/moderated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Bad: overly censored/moderated

Disagree. Stupidity should be permabanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭whats_my_name

Bad for the sweeping generalisations - your on the Dole - lazy. You work in the public sector - you instantly earn in the region of 100 million for only working 9 months of the year. Your a student - you should pay fees instead of spending money to drink. You are from outside Dublin - your backward. You support Sein Fein - you support the IRA. Single mothers - sluts who sponge all they can get out of the government.

Good - after all the above bull**** it's a great place for whenever someone is in a time of need e.g. the support shown on PTK'S thread about his & his wife's journey this past few months has been nothing short of amazing & I really hope he finds some sort of small comfort reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Good: Mr E doesn't comment

Bad: Mr E doesn't comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Good - During school term time
    Bad - When school is off and bored kids come in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Good - This sort of thread

Bad - This sort of thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

We've evolved from blasting our oul ones with piss to a whole new level of informed debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

We've evolved from blasting our oul ones with piss to a whole new level of informed debate.

But is that good or bad?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I think it needs more bass!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Bad-Any mention of God or religion and the "man in the sky"brigade come running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Bad; calling out social welfare recipients for the leeches they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Anything to do with gender and feminism is generally a train wreck waiting to happen. It's usually the same posters making the same old arguments. I tend to post more in the lighthearted threads these days. Some of them are very funny and entertaining to read. There are a lot of posters in AH that take it way too seriously though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I don't think any serious thread should be in here. Politics was started to take them out but look at the AH list now - discussions on transgender, FIFA, the Irish language, med asylum seekers, shootings in the U.S.

In general I would love all "shootings in the U.S." to be shunted off to the U.S. forum in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭tritium

Good-some very knowledgeable posters with a healthy level of respect for other reasonably argued opinions

Bad-inbalaced, including in moderation. You'll rightly be banned if you come out with blatant racism for example but you can abuse anyone as say a shill for DOB and you'll have pages of cheerleaders. Hell call them liars, apologists whatever, no one will pick you up....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Robsweezie wrote: »
    in general I think the standard of discussion at this neck the woods is deep, often passionate even aggressively so sometimes. people put forth very good arguments on topics close to their hearts. I didn't think much of AH starting off but it grew on me with the quality of discussion over the past while and the effort and thought that goes into people's arguments. I'm now convinced that's it not all cheap toilet humour and innuendo.

where I feel AH lets itself down is discussions on gender. they are very much lock central on here. It's a shame it has to come to that because of a few ''out there'' comments and opinions. Feminism and rape also seem to be sore spots that AH struggle with. It also seems when stories concerning minority groups are discussed, generalising creeps in and it goes downhill from there.

It's a bit of a let down when you click into a certain thread and its' not what you think it is, or something completely trivial and obscure like '' oh I burnt my toast im so upset, any advice?'' I would gradually like to see less click bait titles.

So what have you to offer AH in terms of praise and criticism?

You sum it up well.

I do find though that at around a 100+ posts we're into
    ~ repetition
    ~ or a couple of posters are having a bun fight on some obscure tangent of the OP
    ~ or someone said something clumsily and is being taken to the cleaners over it
    ~ So generally I Foxtrot Oscar after a few days.
    ~ or someone introduces their own particular hobby horse. How are you Andon?
    Bad; calling out social welfare recipients for the leeches they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

kneemos wrote: »
    Bad-Any mention of God or religion and the "man in the sky"brigade come running.

God and religion promoters should pre evangelise and evangelise elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Shinnerbots and blueshirts....bad

Abusing cyclists.....................good

Fleawuss wrote: »
    God and religion promoters should pre evangelise and evangelise elsewhere.

Stop shoving your way of life down peoples necks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

kneemos wrote: »
    Stop shoving your way of life down peoples necks.

They should.

Fleawuss wrote: »
    They should.

Poor response as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It does funny brilliantly sometimes.

That said, there's things here that surprisingly large amounts of people find funny that I will just never understand.

Advertisement