Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for a mini, budget approx 5k...

Options
  • 05-06-2015 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I could use some advice. I am looking for a mini one or cooper with a budget of approx 5k... So far I am looking at cars about 10 yrs old. Good idea or bad?

Must b diesel too...

I viewed one today, an 06 1.4 diesel and decided not to buy... Things that put me off was lots of smoke from under the oil cap when I removed this.. Did'n't think this was normal. Also lots of black smoke from the exhaust when I revved it a bit. was advised by a friend that it could be due to a worn engine i.e. a car that wasn't being properly minded and serviced... This was my first one to see and I never drove one before this so not sure if any of this was normal for the mini or was it a sign of a car problems down the line.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There will be lots of black smoke from the exhaust if you rev it after it has been idling for a while or if the car has only been driving at low revs around the city. A service history should be looked for as proof the car was looked after. Does it have to be a diesel as you will find a petrol model much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Alexk79

I was driving it for a couple of miles and driving it at fairly high revves at times just to see about any sort of noises or rattles or issues with power.. It drove fine, just the smoke put me off esp when it seemed excessive from under the oil cap. I also wondered about the oil dipstick... oil was showing about an inch to an inch and a half above the maximum level even after i wiped it and re dipped it so it seemed over filled? Not sure if this could have caused the smoke... The smoke was also coming out of where the dipstick was as well as under the oil cap.. Just I had a good few cars myself over the years and never seen this before... I was a bit wary by it all... The smoke from under the oil cap was spewing out, almost looked like an exhaust, and this was before and after I drove the car so I don't think it was an issue with being idle or driving at low revves cos I did put my foot down a bit during the test drive...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your budget is very limited for a diesel Mini, they have strong resale values so the majority of the ones in your budget are going to have big miles on them or be a bit jaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Why diesel as a matter of interest?

Advertisement