Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do Austrians survive?

Options
  • 05-06-2015 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Had a short downtown walk in Salzburg this evening. Turned a corner beside where Mozart was born and here there is a gunshop. So what? In the front window was a selection of very fine stalking rifles. A combo rifle/shotgun occupied centre stage. The .45 Glock 21, P99 etc were a mere sideshow. The preloved guns were in a side window.
    There were no shutters that I could see. It was all so 'normal'. Just another sports shop like the ski shop further down the street. I presume licensing is ok here. People seem quite happy, kids play in street fountains etc. No skangers hanging around or junkies injecting on the tourist trail. A few cops here and there, suited booted & armed.
    WTF can't we be as sensible as Austrians?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Deaf git wrote: »
    Had a short downtown walk in Salzburg this evening. Turned a corner beside where Mozart was born and here there is a gunshop. So what? In the front window was a selection of very fine stalking rifles. A combo rifle/shotgun occupied centre stage. The .45 Glock 21, P99 etc were a mere sideshow. The preloved guns were in a side window.
    There were no shutters that I could see. It was all so 'normal'. Just another sports shop like the ski shop further down the street. I presume licensing is ok here. People seem quite happy, kids play in street fountains etc. No skangers hanging around or junkies injecting on the tourist trail. A few cops here and there, suited booted & armed.

The Austrians are a clever lot.They have managed to convince the world that Hitler was German!!So any race that can pull that off... 😊.
    Different mindset and ethos to us.They had a 100 years ago an empire that was a major player in Europe .100 years ago we were part of an empire.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Amazed to see something very similar in a chocolate box village in rural Switzerland, again on a Sunday - so could not go in.

Had something very like a GPMG as centrepiece - again no shutters or apparent security. Was there back in 1988 or 89.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Probably because the police there don't take the kind of shyte the Gardaí here do. People there seem to have a more community conscious mind-set as well, and comply with the various laws to a greater extent.
    You only have to watch people wait at a pedestrian crossing, waiting for a green light, without a car in sight, or notice how people don't cross over to the opposite side of the road to nip into a parking space, ant then cause delays as they try to nose out again against oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

Went in there today. Well, I had to didn't I? Lovely staff, the lady occupied my mrs showing her bits and pieces of celebrity memorabilia- including autographs frpm Clark Gable, David Niven who had purchased waffen many years ago. I bought a few bits but couldnt justify 400 euro for a Docter holographic sight. Did find useful bits like real gunsmiths screwdrivers, glock knife and walther cheapie red dot. The lady then further entertained mrs with gingerbread. The name is Dschulnigg on Griessgasse.
    What a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Being an also an armed police or para military police force[There are plenty of those in Europe .Italy has three of them.] Proably helps too,which is nicely counter balanced by a ,more or less,armed pouplation that is trusted by the govts not to be silly buggers with their firearms and as little involvement as possible of the police in granting liscenses,bar maybe concealed carry.Plus,there is very little suspicion or reticience of police and civvies to meet chat and go shooting together.Police/Military/Civvie intershoot matches of various disiplines are very common..Wonder if ever will we see a AGS/Army/Irish civvie competition here?:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

They're way too busy hanging out on the beach cooking shrimp on BBQ's :D:D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQH7nj3MqTPlpYrJ9m-aPU6N4tZoojwc_phbF3NbaVfrI-KzKtj

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Kat1170 wrote: »
    They're way too busy hanging out on the beach cooking shrimp on BBQ's :D:D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQH7nj3MqTPlpYrJ9m-aPU6N4tZoojwc_phbF3NbaVfrI-KzKtj

Wrong continent and no beaches!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

aaakev wrote: »
    Wrong continent and no beaches!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9OefLBWaytkx9wHOmTg0TzW1DhO5BDlNThWk_TxRKPu0x6kJimQ

:D:P:D:P:D:P:D:P:D:P:D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Kat1170 wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9OefLBWaytkx9wHOmTg0TzW1DhO5BDlNThWk_TxRKPu0x6kJimQ

:D:P:D:P:D:P:D:P:D:P:D:P
    Haha yup!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Wonder if ever will we see a AGS/Army/Irish civvie competition here?:(

The Defence Forces Shooting Team competes in pretty much all of the ISSF matches here. In fact, if it wasn't for them there would probably be no 50m Three Position shooting in the country at all. Right now the only people shooting that event with any regularity are in the DFST. They also have a set of electronic targets which get used for the national 50m competitions and a few other 50m competitions. There's a lot of overlap between ISSF and CISM shooting so it makes sense for them to shoot as much ISSF stuff as they can get to.

The Gardai don't have an official team shooting civilian disciplines as far as I know, but I could be mistaken. I haven't heard or seen of them, but that's not to say it hasn't happened.

Unofficially of course there are a whole bunch of PDF/RDF/AGS members, both current and retired, shooting in pretty much every competitive shoot I've ever heard of in the country.

Advertisement