Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grahame Morris, Australia

Options
  • 05-06-2015 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭

A LIBERAL political adviser’s claims the Irish “can’t grow potatoes” and Australia isn’t ready for a gay marriage referendum have shocked readers worldwide.

Grahame Morris, who was a former chief of staff for former prime minister John Howard, told Sky News on Monday that Australia should not follow Ireland’s example in having a same-sex marriage referendum during a TV debate on the PM Agenda program with host David Speers.

“I love the Irish and half the parliament’s full of Irishmen, but these are people who can’t grow potatoes, they’ve got a mutant lawn weed as their national symbol and they can’t verbalise the difference between a tree and the number three,” Mr Morris said.

“But — and then all of a sudden — Australia has to follow suit.

“I don’t think people are ready. You run around Queensland, the Bush, and most of Western Australia and you can see people aren’t ready.

“This vote is going to be divisive and I don’t think most of the parties in parliament are ready to change.

“It isn’t a life and death decision.

“I have a feeling this could end up like that stupid referendum on a republic where the electorate wasn’t ready... and you’ve got to put it off for another 10 years.”

they can’t verbalise the difference between a tree and the number three,” Mr Morris said.

With a name like Morris he has to be of Irish extraction. Maybe someone can look up his family tree and post it on Australian Social Media.

As regards his comment

"they can’t verbalise the difference between a tree and the number three,” Mr Morris said.

Maybe he should be told that we pronounce three as tree as that it's pronounced in the Irish language.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement