Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAYE Online usage

Options
  • 05-06-2015 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I just logged in for the first time to PAYE online.
    A bit is confusing me:
    If you have already claimed the tax credit then the pop up will show the gross relief due, if not then €0.00 will be shown
    How on earth does that make sense?

Surely if I haven't claimed my tax credit I should see the gross relief due. And if I have €0.00. So in other words, the reverse?

Am I reading the text wrong? :confused:

Question 2 with multiple questions:
    I get prescription drugs every month or so. I have some claim forms since 2013.
    Can I claim anytime during the year?
    Or is a particular time better?
    Is it worth it? How many percentage of what I've paid will I get back.
    Will my tax credit be reduced and shiz?
    How many times can I claim per year?
    Sorry lots of questions :eek:

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Eman_321 wrote: »
    I just logged in for the first time to PAYE online.
    A bit is confusing me:

How on earth does that make sense?

Surely if I haven't claimed my tax credit I should see the gross relief due. And if I have €0.00. So in other words, the reverse?

Am I reading the text wrong? :confused:

Question 2 with multiple questions:
    I get prescription drugs every month or so. I have some claim forms since 2013.
    Can I claim anytime during the year?
    Or is a particular time better?
    Is it worth it? How many percentage of what I've paid will I get back.
    Will my tax credit be reduced and shiz?
    How many times can I claim per year?
    Sorry lots of questions :eek:

Thanks

Question one. The online system is a mirror of Revenues internal system. If the credit shown is 0, then you haven't claimed it. If there's a figure in there, then that figure has been claimed already.

Health expenses can be claimed after the end of each tax year. Most wait until they receive their P60s to initiate the claims. Relief is granted at 20% of the total health expenses for the year. If a refund is due it will be refunded to your bank account if you have provided your bank details.
    Also to note, you will need to have paid tax in the tax year the health expenses relate to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

To keep it simple what I do is this :
    I use the same doctor and get all prescriptions in same pharmacy.

At year-end I would ask both doctor and pharmacy for a print-out of the relevant tax year .

I normally input the info onto an excel spreadsheet , and if I have any hospital/ consultant invoices , I add them in too .

You can then log in to paye-anytime and put the totals in for each year .

You can go back 4 completed tax years , so claim from 2011 in 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman_321

Thanks guys, very helpful.
    At year-end I would ask both doctor and pharmacy for a print-out of the relevant tax year .

A print out of what exactly? I didn't know you could print refund forms for past years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Eman_321 wrote: »
    A print out of what exactly? I didn't know you could print refund forms for past years.

A print out of your number of visits & amounts paid, obviously!! Not all doctors / dentists can/will do it, but it's handy if they do...

It's then up to you to (and brace yourself now....):

ADD ALL YOUR DIFFERENT RECEIPTS UP AND MAKE YOUR CLAIM...

It's then up to you to (and brace yourself now....):
    ADD ALL YOUR DIFFERENT RECEIPTS UP AND MAKE YOUR CLAIM...
    Well I knew that :p

I will ask my pharmacy if they do. That'd be cool. Anyways thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I use excel to add up the totals , but it can be dodgy enough at times . - Might be best if the OP buys a calculator and double-checks the calculations , just to be sure :).

Anyway , OP , not sure what the refund form you mention above , maybe it is MED1 or MED2 , but anyway , if you find that you paid in excess of €144 in prescriptions in any given month , you may be due a refund under the drugs payment scheme .
    The refund claim form is available in your local health centre .

Buy a calculator? Win 8 calc or Google :P
    Thanks for the extra tidbit allthedoyles!

Advertisement