Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glorifying obesity

Options
  • 05-06-2015 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

In recent years, there has been this drive towards body acceptance, which I have no problem with. What I do have a problem with however, is the glorification of obesity. The likes of Tess Holiday and many others are promoting being overweight as acceptable and disregard the health affects, which is disgraceful.

On the other side of the coin, we have the size zero debate. I am also against being size zero, and feel neither this nor being overweight should be promoted.

So overall, this whole body acceptance is a load of shxt when it is used as an excuse to be fat. You are unhealthy and disgusting. What it should be used for is accepting disabilities, amputees, skin blemishes etc. not being a fat fcuk.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Well, I won't be PM-ing you my nudes anyway. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Its Phat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Hey, your the one that asked to be sent naked pictures. I wouldn't have bothered if I knew you were going to go off on a rant like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

In recent years, there has been this drive towards body acceptance, which I have no problem with. What I do have a problem with however, is the glorification of obesity. The likes of Tess Holiday and many others are promoting being overweight as acceptable and disregard the health affects, which is disgraceful.

On the other side of the coin, we have the size zero debate. I am also against being size zero, and feel neither this nor being overweight should be promoted.

So overall, this whole body acceptance is a load of shxt when it is used as an excuse to be fat. You are unhealthy and disgusting. What it should be used for is accepting disabilities, amputees, skin blemishes etc. not being a fat fcuk.

Anyone who thinks that obesity is glorified in our society is seriously deluded. Obesity and being overweight has never been more socially unacceptable (as conversely it becomes more socially prevalent). I grew up gay and seriously fat. The torment I received for both from others was roughly equal until recently. Nowadays fat people and the obese are seen as legitimate targets. Even the fact that you feel comfortable writing such vicious things about human beings who whilst admittedly may be making poor decisions are certainly not harming you directly is proof of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

I blame slow metabolism, bad genes and being big boned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Mostly started as an American thing (no, I'm not saying Americans are only obese). Slowly crept into other mostly white countries. It's usually confined to either online or trash TV style stuff.
    Anytime I've seen it being seriously discussed either a host of the show or a doctor or something would point out the issues with "accepting" (really glorifying) the issues of being obese.
    Same goes with being anorexic.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Burning Bridges

Actually being slightly overweight is healthier than being "normal" or even underweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I'm not fat and disgusting. I'm f*ckin gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Anyone who thinks that obesity is glorified in our society is seriously deluded. Obesity and being overweight has never been more socially unacceptable (as conversely it becomes more socially prevalent). I grew up gay and seriously fat. The torment I received for both from others was roughly equal until recently. Nowadays fat people and the obese are seen as legitimate targets. Even the fact that you feel comfortable writing such vicious things about human beings who whilst admittedly may be making poor decisions are certainly not harming you directly is proof of it.

Across social media sites, there is huge support amongst fatties for their bodies. Just search #HAES or #BodyAcceptance on twitter/instagram and see for yourself.

I've never read a thread like this before.

I wonder how it's going to go.

• Advertisement

There is a stark contrast between how the average person sees fat people and how idiots on tumblr or other social sites are "fativists". OP is clearly on about the latter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

You are unhealthy and disgusting.

I don't believe any mature individual over the age of 11 could actually think like this. This being the case, you're under age and should not be posting here. Give the laptop back to your mam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Actually being slightly overweight is healthier than being "normal" or even underweight.

How, exactly?

mod: Alright, arguments are already starting. Also, OP, if you're gonna post anything like this again, avoid the line of "fat f**ks" or anything like it. That's clearly causing problems here and isn't acceptable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement