Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone stolen - covered by home insurance??

Options
  • 05-06-2015 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭

Hey all

My wife today, in her infinite wisdom, left her Samsung Galaxy S5 in her car. Thieves duly smashed the window and made off with it.

We have home insurance with Allianz under my name. I believe phones are covered as contents but just wondering if there are any gotchas, i.e, theft not covered or limited to home theft. Anyone been down this road before?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Two words - excess and renewal.

Do the maths before you claim.

ETA, I suspect it would have to be specified as an all risks item for it to be covered outside the house, so might be academic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

The country has turned into a bunch of Galaxy phone thieves it would seem.

Did the thief make his getaway in a taxi by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Some policies require certain items to be specified, and/or if they are over a certain value. You'd have to read your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Hunt him down with the find my phone feature!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You sure your wife didn't give it to a taxi driver in lieu of payment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If the phone was visible in the car and not secured in a glovebox or something they might give you hassle. A lot of insurance companies are pernickety with the circumstances of theft. You'll probably need a police report as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

What about the car insurance policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

i had an s3 stolen a few weeks.paid 95 excess and got a brand new s3 phone .so if you can pay the excess and get a new s5 it will be well worth it. ring up and ask what the excess is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

Thanks to all for your replies. And thanks in particular to ofcork!!

Rang AXA and yes indeed there's cover for personal belongings up to a value of 500 euro! So not only will AXA cover the window replacement, they'll reimburse her for a new phone as well! How sweet is that?!

Thanks all, love Boards!!!

Advertisement