Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would it be wrong to ask for a raise/IT

Options
  • 05-06-2015 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

6 months ago I got got a new job, went from an IT Admin to IT Manager. My wages went from 35k to 45k(outside dublin). I was aware this was under the norm for an IT Manager(50k min) but I didn't want to risk losing the opportunity by asking for much more(they offered 43k so I asked for 45k). They also knew that I had a good bit to learn to grow into the roll and were willing to take the risk (while also making a saving on their side).

When we discussed pay the HR manager did say that in about 18 months time when you're up to speed we can renegotiate. I thought 18 months was a bit ridiculous at the time but again, I just wanted in the door at this stage so didn't question it.

When do you think the right time is to ask? (Assuming that I'm doing a good job). Should I wait the 18 months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I would wait the 18 months - but make sure you get yourself lots of learning and development so that if they don't give you market rate then, you can get an equivalent job elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Okay, that sounds reasonable. Learning loads so that shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I would definitely wait the 18 months and prove yourself. If you've a good bit to learn, then you're probably unlikely to walk into a 50K role right now, so I'm not sure you're really being undervalued. A 10K pay bump and time to learn the ropes sounds like a great opportunity.

Advertisement