Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol station explosion in Ghana kills 150 people who were seeking shelter from rain

Options
  • 04-06-2015 10:47pm

An explosion at a petrol station in Ghana's capital Accra has killed at least 150 people who had been sheltering from torrential rain.

Ghana's president John Dramani Mahama described the loss of life as "catastrophic and almost unprecedented", as he toured the scene of the disaster on Thursday morning.

"A lot of people have lost their lives and I am lost for words," he said.

He has announced three days of national mourning.

A fire brigade spokesman said many of the victims had sought shelter there from torrential rain which has flooded the city.

Source: ABC AU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭SeanW

That sucks. My sympathies to the dead and the families they left behind :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

That's Ghana hurt...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DeadHand

That's Ghana hurt...

150 human beings died.

Stay classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

So, what do we do here OP?
    Sympathise, discuss H&S in Ghana......

PARlance wrote: »

Do whatever you want to do. Are you so dimwitted that you need everything to be explained to you? Jaysis, I hope not.

• Advertisement

Do whatever you want to do. Are you so dimwitted that you need everything to be explained to you? Jaysis, I hope not.

What's the discussion though? This isn't RTE news and you aren't Brian Dobson, so stop dumping news links maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Condolences to the families and RIP to all the victims.

What's the discussion though? This isn't RTE news and you aren't Brian Dobson, so stop dumping news links maybe?

So this makes you think it is OK to mock the death of 150 people? Though that's not even expected to be the final count. You are a classy chap, you. You really are.

So this makes you think it is OK to mock the death of 150 people? Though that's not even expected to be the final count. You are a classy chap, you. You really are.

Thanks, I do try.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Terribly sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

That's Ghana hurt...

tough crowd tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

That's awful stuff. Do they know what caused the explosion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Horrible way to go, RIP

17larsson wrote: »

From what I've heard, it really was just an accident.
    The blast was caused by a fire that erupted in a nearby freight terminal at around 10:00pm (local time) on Wednesday then spread to the petrol station and other buildings in Accra, Prince Billy Anaglate told a local radio station.

Initial signs suggested the fire started by accident, he added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

PARlance wrote: »

Lots of people died horribly today in Ghana, lots of people die horribly everyday around the world in major accidents accidents.
    Today about 150,000 people died in general, this is bad, we should only however make sure to leave a RIP if somebody makes a tasteless note.

On the story, it does sound awful but I don't get it, it says many may have drowned in flooding but surely a petrol station would have been at road level? (where i presume people flee too)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

17larsson wrote: »

Copious amounts of petrol and diesel

Advertisement