Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wahoo Kickr - worth it?

Options
  • 04-06-2015 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

The Wahoo kickr is very expensive at 1300 euro. Is it worth it? Is it a pain to put the bike on and off the casette? Are you better off having a semi permanent bike on it?

Will it last 10 years?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Great piece of kit, don't think I paid that much for it. Very accurate (to srms) constantly within a few watts. Very durable and works with plenty of software via BTLE or ant+ if that's your thing.

Pay the money if you think it will get plenty of usage in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

The Wahoo kickr is very expensive at 1300 euro. Is it worth it? Is it a pain to put the bike on and off the casette? Are you better off having a semi permanent bike on it?

Will it last 10 years?!

I change wheels between by regular turbo and the road all the time, this would probably be less of a pain than that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

for a less expensive option, look at he elite turbo muin. got one of these recently, joey has one as well i believe. similar to the kicker in that it has direct drive, so no wheel needed. it does not have the power meter/adjustable resistance built in like the kickr, but if you have a pm and not interested in the VR racing then it's a top piece of kit and can be found for 300 to 400 euros. they also have a kickr equivalent which is more expensive, but if doing that i'd just go the kickr route

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Great piece of kit, don't think I paid that much for it. Very accurate (to srms) constantly within a few watts. Very durable and works with plenty of software via BTLE or ant+ if that's your thing.

Pay the money if you think it will get plenty of usage in years to come.

Less accurate than previously believed is the widespread consensus to be honest. Hence the introduction of the ability for the kickr to be controlled by an ANT+/BTLE power meter this week.

Its effectively a computrainer without the cables. It has lovely fancy 3d software and all these things too. However really you'll use the erg mode the most and for that allow it is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

Off topic a little bit - how much could one charge for an infrequently used Computrainer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

Got a Wahoo 2 months ago after one year on an Elite fluid 2. Decided to upgrade after having to buy a new rear wheel.

Direct drive is awesome and simple to take on and off. Literally takes 30 sec.

As for power, it seems consistent for me.

Pair with trainer road and it's an amazing combination.

Bottom line, if you are already using a turbo and know you will use it then it is worth it. Not sure if I would buy it as my first. I know many people buy turbos and never use them. So perhaps a trial with a used turbo to see if it's for you first.

Advertisement