Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to Dublin

Options
  • 04-06-2015 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, I am looking for an advice about which "all girls" school is good up in Dublin. I have been only in the city centre most of the time and I have no clue whatsoever regarding with schools up there. I would appreciate any objective opinions. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Primary or secondary?

Also any specific ethos? I'm going to assume Catholic as they are all single sex schools.

Loreto on the Green is supposed to have a good reputation academically but I believe you need to enrol from a very young age to have a chance of getting in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

What part of Dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Cara Bean

I am looking for a decent "all girls" secondary school and yes Catholic. Its for my sister, she will be entering 2nd year this coming school year (did her first year in Presentation Secondary School Thurles, Tipperary).
    I heard that St. Josephs College in Lucan is good?

Are the secondary schools in the city centre tend to be poor compared to the outside?. I am also concerned with renting an accommodation for the two of us so closer to her secondary school would be great.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Cara Bean wrote: »
    I am looking for a decent "all girls" secondary school and yes Catholic. Its for my sister, she will be entering 2nd year this coming school year (did her first year in Presentation Secondary School Thurles, Tipperary).
    I heard that St. Josephs College in Lucan is good?

Are the secondary schools in the city centre tend to be poor compared to the outside?. I am also concerned with renting an accommodation for the two of us so closer to her secondary school would be great.
    Thanks

Lucan and City Centre are quite a distance apart, especially during peak commuting times.
    Are you moving to Dublin for work reasons, where will work be located, where are you planning to live.
    With more information it will be easier for others to point you in the right direction.

In the coming months its going to be just me (21) and my sister (14). We are considering to move to Dublin permanently for Education purposes. I am in college in DIT kevin st. Now I am looking for any accommodation for the two of us. A place close to a good "all girls" secondary school is the ideal, I dont mind commuting as long as she doesnt have to travel far. Hope i make more sense now.
    Thank you

• Advertisement

I forgot to add that we are leaning towards to non fee paying secondary schools thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Migrane0

St Joseph's isn't fee paying and all the women from my mother's family went there. It's been a few years since my cousins graduated but they enjoyed their time there. Plus getting into the city is easy with Lucan just off the N4. I know because I live just up the N4 in Palmerstown. It should take you under an hour to get into Kevin st. from Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Migrane0

St Joseph's isn't fee paying and all the women from my mother's family went there. It's been a few years since my cousins graduated but they enjoyed their time there. Plus getting into the city is easy with Lucan just off the N4. I know because I live just up the N4 in Palmerstown. It should take you under an hour to get into Kevin st. from Lucan.

Also this site might be useful
    schooldays.ie/articles/secondary-Schools-in-Ireland-by-County

Yes Lucan is one of the options, although is there any complication with regards to transferring to St. Josephs College?. I mean is it easy for a student to get into it?
    Also what about Clontarf? Balbriggan? Blanchardstown areas? Do they have good secondary school?
    THanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Every area has good and bad schools

Dublin is huge and nailing down a location you want to live in should be first on the agenda. Lucan is very different to Blanc and areas on the Northside.

You seem to have a firm plan which is a little worrying for your sister.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Balbriggan has a good all girls secondary school,it has lower rents then a lot of Dublin(850pm for a 2 bed house),it is about 45 minutes in to town on the train.
    No city centre schools do not tend to be better or worse at 2nd level.
    If it is for this Sept then your best bet is to contact any of interest and see who has space.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Balbriggan has a good all girls secondary school,it has lower rents then a lot of Dublin(850pm for a 2 bed house),it is about 45 minutes in to town on the train.
    No city centre schools do not tend to be better or worse at 2nd level.
    If it is for this Sept then your best bet is to contact any of interest and see who has space.

Loreto balbriggan is a fabulous school :)

Advertisement