Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engagement ring broke

Options
  • 04-06-2015 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

I got engaged in February, the ring was bought just after Christmas from a well-known jewelers. Today I looked at it and noticed the ring has snapped at the back! He still has the receipt, I'm just wondering where I stand with this. Am I entitled to a repair? After all I don't know how it happened, but I feel like it's something that shouldn't happen easily and I haven't done anything with it.

Note: There is a ring adjuster on the ring, this was put on by the same jeweler that sold us the ring.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Picture isn't showing for me OP, but I would definitely say you would be entitled to a repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It looks like a soldered joint snapped but that's just a guess on my part.

If it's a defect in the ring (as opposed to your abuse) you are initially entitled to a permanent repair for free or a free replacement.
    If there is any dispute over the cause of the break then get a second or third opinion in writing from other jewellers and work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,380 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A ring like that is made of soft metal, it's not the end of the world if there's a break, it can be easily repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

coylemj wrote: »
    A ring like that is made of soft metal, it's not the end of the world if there's a break, it can be easily repaired.
    Agreed.

And made to fit. I suspect that the ring adjuster (a thing I have never before heard of) might have contributed to the circumstances that caused the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Agreed.

And made to fit. I suspect that the ring adjuster (a thing I have never before heard of) might have contributed to the circumstances that caused the break.

The adjuster is flexible and isn't "rigid" against the ring, it slides along it so I don't think it adds too much pressure. I'm just worried they will try to charge me for the repair, I don't have alot of money and also feel it should not have broken so soon...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

As mentioned it looks like it has come apart where it was soldered originally. It happens and is an easy fix. It might be an idea to get the ring resized as part of the fix so you can ditch the adjuster. Those things catch in everything!

Advertisement