Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martial Arts in the Sligo Area?

Options
  • 04-06-2015 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi! I have recently moved to Sligo and am wondering if there are an classes for adult beginners in any of the martial arts? I am not fussy on whether it is judo/karate/kickboxing/etc, I am just interested in learning a new martial art and getting fit^^

Apologies if this has been asked before. I had a skim through the stickied thread on clubs in Ireland, but couldn't find anything to answer my query.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Michael O Leary

Hi! I have recently moved to Sligo and am wondering if there are an classes for adult beginners in any of the martial arts? I am not fussy on whether it is judo/karate/kickboxing/etc, I am just interested in learning a new martial art and getting fit^^

Apologies if this has been asked before. I had a skim through the stickied thread on clubs in Ireland, but couldn't find anything to answer my query.

www.wingtsun.ie/sligo.html :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

I've met some of this gang and they're a decent club: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Samurai-Shotokan-Karate-Club/546181022089493

They're also affiliated to the JKA, which is the largest and oldest Shotokan governing body in the world. The pic on their website shows them with sensei Kawsoe, who is one of the best-known Japanese instructors anywhere.

10403622_942014449172813_5537504548052428152_n.jpg?oh=93ea631e304251bbce589ec8cf428ca4&oe=5606B05C

• Registered Users Posts: 41 PrincessPeach

Thanks a mill for the info, guys! Will look into them^^

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Which one is sensei Kawsoe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

shutup wrote: »

In the photo?

The Asian gentleman who is standing fifth from the left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Shane McMunn

Sligo has some great clubs in it, I can't post any links so just Google any of the following.

Sligo bjj
    Sligo aikikai
    Sligo higashi (wado ryu karate)
    Hong Ying Sligo (choy li fut - southern chinese kung fu with lots of forms and weapons)

Any of the above I'd recommend and will get you fit.

There are also some internal chinese martial arts in sligo, though they won't have the same level of fitness as the above clubs.

Sligo Tai Chi and Internal arts

And my own sligo tai chi, which is Yang family tai chi, but as I said probably won't have the fitness element you want.

Good luck

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 41 PrincessPeach

Thanks Shane for all that info ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GT Tonry

Hi,
    If you are interested in traditional martial arts training in Sligo, check out 'Tang Soo Do'.
    It is a korean style focused on discipline, forms and contactless sparring. Classes are held in Sligo town (Mon and Wed) , Ballymote (Tues and Thurs), Tubbercurry (Thurs), Cliffoney (Fri) and Coolaney (Tues).Master E Titus (8th Dan) has held classes in Sligo for the past ten years, well worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

shutup wrote: »

I think Zen meant to say "Kawasoe". Masao Kawasoe is a very highly-respected Shotokan instructor who has recently returned to the JKA after many years teaching with the ITKF. He holds a JKA 7th Dan.

Advertisement