Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Defense Enquiry

Options
  • 04-06-2015 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello everyone :D I am Luke, I keep getting approached by "weirdo's" when I am in town, and today I was followed and feel like I am going to get attack, he asked me for my name, and if I was Irish and I simply said "I don't have to tell you my name, I am irish" he kept looking back at me, and started jogging, he felt like I was following him I suppose when really I was just on my way home, from subway xD, I am only 15, I am mature, I may be taking up martial arts but I really need something to defend myself as this guy was probably on drugs hence the paranoia, I understand there are many laws that really restrict this and I understand why completely, it was the one time I forgot my phone as well, he started crossing the road, and thats when he started talking to me, at first I was behind him but he stopped and I passed and then he started walking around 8-10 metres behind me. And thats when he tried crossing the road and started talking. All replies are greatly appreciated, pls go easy on me its my first post lol :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Luke2015 wrote: »
    . . . he kept looking back at me, and started jogging, he felt like I was following him I suppose when really I was just on my way home, from subway xD,. . . .

Hi Luke,

Without having been there it's difficult for anyone to comment on the situation that you describe in your post. Context is everything in these situations and it may simply have been the case that you reminded him of somebody he knew.

Perhaps MA training would help you to be more confident in situations such as this, but don't expect that results will happen quickly. The most important thing to know about self-defence is that you should avoid physical conflict unless it really is a matter of life-and-death. There will always be weirdos, but 99% of them are harmless and ensuring you do not needlessly escalate the situation is mostly a matter of being calm and allowing that calm to project from you.

Be at peace,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Luke, the situation you outline in your post is a little hard to follow but the way I read your post is that you were walking home from Subway and ended up walking behind this guy. Then, at a certain point, he became suspicious that you were 'following' him even though it was just by chance from your perspective. After that it seems as if he let you go past and then he walked behind you for a period of time and asked you some questions.

On the one hand it sounds like it may have been a simple misunderstanding.

I'm sure a lot of people will have had a similar experience where they are walking in the evening or night time and briefly end up walking the same route as a complete stranger, to the point that both of you feel slightly uncomfortable until it becomes clear that it's just coincidence.

On the other hand..

You mention that at some point you felt that he was following you, and from your post I get the sense that you were a little afraid and perhaps felt a little rattled by the line of questions. With all due respect to the fact that you say you are a mature 15 year old I think I you could do worse then mentioning what happened to your parents or another adult you trust and seeing what they make of what happened.

Although people are free to pass the time of day with anyone they meet I would be a little uncomfortable, given your age, if it was the case that this individual let you pass and then began following you and striking up a conversation unsolicited.

As far as martial arts goes: At your age they're certainly something that might be good for your general fitness and to get out and make friends etc. From a self defence point of view I would suggest to you that the way you handled the situation above was actually just fine and did not require any martial arts ability: You kept moving and didn't engage with the person when you felt a bit uncomfortable. From a self defence point of view this is a great strategy for anyone of any age and works a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

You should take up a martial art because it's fun and can keep you fit, but the best self-defense is probably the 200m dash

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Luke2015

Well sorry for the extremely late reply, thank you all for the replies. I did tell my parents about the incident before I posted this also, I understand I was a bit unclear, I was simply minding my own business. And if you knew my area I think you might understand a bit more, ik who am I to judge but he was one of these ppl that do look like a psycho. I also failed to mention a few things I apologise, he was very paranoid he said "Where are you from, are you Irish?" and then when I said Yes, he did not say any of this is a joking manner, he replied "Good as long as u are Irish you are ok with me, dw I wont harm you." Its very hard to describe, ik even from reading back on what I just said, I am making him out to be a very nice man lol, well let me you picture you this he worn trainers, hoodie, and all the kind of "dodgy stuff". Well anyway its the past now, but ty everyone for replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

aaaaand that's a wrap. Locking thread because I am also wearing a hoody and trainers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement