Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you need a power meter?

Options
  • 04-06-2015 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from a ban on Cycling for pointing out that most that use power meters do not need one and its a complete waste of money.

If the best thing you can think about a power meter is how you can "use it with trainer road" you really really don't need a power meter. In fact you should probably sell your bike.

/rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Ceepo

tunney wrote: »
    Following on from a ban on Cycling for pointing out that most that use power meters do not need one and its a complete waste of money.

If the best thing you can think about a power meter is how you can "use it with trainer road" you really really don't need a power meter. In fact you should probably sell your bike.

/rant

Heads straight over to cycling forum. Lol

Q) Do you need one ?
    A) No.

Q)Are the a good tool for training?
    A)Absolutely

Q)Can you train without one?
    A)Absolutely

Just my opinion

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the interesting question that should be posed, but i suspect would not be answered correctly, was why people thought using numbers from an actual power meter made trainer road more effective than using the virtual power numbers.

especially if you're never using the numbers when not on the turbo anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Surely the best thing is to use some sort of 'virtual' reference for turbo training that is repeatable, regardless of what it is it will not translate to road with wind, rain, etc etc.

The idea of using trainerroad or tacx figures and trying to match them to real PM figures so you can repeat outside is delusional (word of the week) IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I don't have a power meter but have been using Trainer Road with virtual power for over two years now.

The numbers mean absolutely nothing to me, I couldn't care less if my FTP is 200 Watts or 27 Donkeys as long as it's pretty much repeatable. It's far from perfect but with a little care and attention when setting up I find it very useful.

For those with a PM there's a new feature called Power Match which calibrates the virtual power on Kickr to line up with your real PM so that you can have a dedicated bike on the turbo and leave the PM on your good bike. Don't know how well it works but seems like a step in the right direction.

Do I need a PM? No

Would I like a PM? Yes

Is virtual power useful if you can't afford a PM? Most definitely

Advertisement