Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teen Summer Opportunities/Scholarships/Camps

Options
  • 04-06-2015 4:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Can anyone comment things for a 16 year old to get involved in for the Summer?
    Such as
    Funded trips
    Competitions
    Summer scholarships
    Things to do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭blobcat

It's been a little while since you posted this but anyway, I'm 18 and I've been looking around for work and volunteering opportunities this summer. There's a lot of worthwhile things to do that I wish I'd done a couple of years ago.

Here's what I'd do this summer or next summer if I were you:

Apply to a charity shop like Oxfam and St. Vincent de Paul. You need to do Garda vetting which takes about six weeks, but you'll get retail experience to put down on your CV which will help you a lot when it comes to applying for actual retail jobs after the LC. Go into the shop and ask for a form and they should give it to you.

For other volunteering opportunities, check out volunteer.ie. Also try summercampjobs.ie (go to the 'activity jobs' section).

This may be a little out there, but you could consider WWOOfing. You basically go and live on a farm in another country. It could potentially really help you with improving your language skills. If you're learning French at school, go to France, for instance. Speaking of improving language skills, au pairing is another thing you could do that would help with that.

If you love animals, try dog walking, or dogsitting. housemydog.com is a really good site. Could be a nice way to earn money but you'd have to be really dedicated and responsible if you're dealing with people's pets.

If all else fails, go to the Gaeltacht. That's always fun. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

eilireland.org is a good place to look for opportunities for young people to volunteer or learn overseas. Some fully funded programmes are ran every year.

Advertisement