Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Aviation Group Apprentice Aircraft Maintenance Engineer

Options
  • 03-06-2015 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Got invited to attend an aptitude test for an apprenticeship at Atlantic Aviation.

Anyone know what type of questions they ask on these aptitude exams, are there any practical exams?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

Got invited to attend an aptitude test for an apprenticeship at Atlantic Aviation.

Anyone know what type of questions they ask on these aptitude exams, are there any practical exams?

Thanks

They used to do a small practical test like removing bolts from a old geni on a bench on the hangar floor years ago when it was SRS Aviation just to see how you handle tools but it was very basic. Then it became Air Atlanta Aero Engineering, then Transaero and now Atlantic Aviation. You wont find a better place to do an apprenticeship. They were one of the original places that took on apprentices back in the 80's/early 90's with the Aer Corps, Aer Lingus (who used to own SRS) and Aer Arann.

Although some one else here might be able to shed more light on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Yes, great company, great bunch of people, top class work.
    Get to know the history of the company, they've been around a long time, they were originally owned by Aer Lingus as far as I know back when they were SRS, a few changes since then but they're still going strong. Read a bit about their recent experiences as Transaero.
    Know the A/C types they do, their customers, the work they do (home and abroad). Know which trade you're going after (airframe, engines, SM, avionics) find out what they do. Learn about the different licensing systems for engineers (B1 or B2 even C), find out what they do and show you're keen to advance yourself to gain a licence. I've never worked there myself so I don't know how their interviews go but they might ask you a bit about basic electrical systems (different voltages house, car, aeroplane etc), how does a car engine work, jet engine, how does an A/C fly (try to learn about the four forces of flight) how does an aerofoil (wing work), try and learn about a few typical systems you'll find on an A/C, hydraulics, avionics, etc. Not too deep but they'll want to see you have an interest at least. If there's a small airfield near you call in and ask them to show you an airplane up close, they're usually happy to. They maigh ask if you've ever built, designed or repaired anything, if you have tell them all about it, if you havent.....don't. They might ask you a bit about yourself, what you do in your spare time so if you've captained the Clare minor hurling team drop it in, they might also ask how you'll feel about the antisocial hours in the industry (you might be going in on nights while your mates are going out boogying). Be yourself, be honest, be prepared, smartly dressed, confident, good eye contact, firm handshake, don't be nervous, enjoy the experience and good luck in the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Yes, great company, great bunch of people, top class work.
    Get to know the history of the company, they've been around a long time, they were originally owned by Aer Lingus as far as I know back when they were SRS, a few changes since then but they're still going strong. Read a bit about their recent experiences as Transaero.
    Know the A/C types they do, their customers, the work they do (home and abroad). Know which trade you're going after (airframe, engines, SM, avionics) find out what they do. Learn about the different licensing systems for engineers (B1 or B2 even C), find out what they do and show you're keen to advance yourself to gain a licence. I've never worked there myself so I don't know how their interviews go but they might ask you a bit about basic electrical systems (different voltages house, car, aeroplane etc), how does a car engine work, jet engine, how does an A/C fly (try to learn about the four forces of flight) how does an aerofoil (wing work), try and learn about a few typical systems you'll find on an A/C, hydraulics, avionics, etc. Not too deep but they'll want to see you have an interest at least. If there's a small airfield near you call in and ask them to show you an airplane up close, they're usually happy to. They maigh ask if you've ever built, designed or repaired anything, if you have tell them all about it, if you havent.....don't. They might ask you a bit about yourself, what you do in your spare time so if you've captained the Clare minor hurling team drop it in, they might also ask how you'll feel about the antisocial hours in the industry (you might be going in on nights while your mates are going out boogying). Be yourself, be honest, be prepared, smartly dressed, confident, good eye contact, firm handshake, don't be nervous, enjoy the experience and good luck in the interview.

Thanks so much for the great reply billy.

Will get studying so :)

Don't go too crazy studying for it but do read up so you can at least show you have an interest, if you know someone in the industry ask them to show you around or tell you about it.
    If you've any questions post them here.

Don't go too crazy studying for it but do read up so you can at least show you have an interest, if you know someone in the industry ask them to show you around or tell you about it.
    If you've any questions post them here.

Think its just aptitude test first so will try prepare for that now.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Also, I don't know what your practical skills are like but you might also want to familiarise yourself with some basic hand tools, what they're for and how their used (torque wrenches etc). Know a small bit about the basic systems you find on an A/C (air data, what an A/C uses to work out its speed and altitude) navigation (how it gets from Ato B), hydraulics (why it's used and how it works), communications (voice, data), differences between models produced by Airbus and Boeing. As far as I know they do only Boeing there so it's all American and all imperial, you won't find any metric nuts or bolts on those, it's all imperial A/F sizes for tools (not that there's much metric hardware on an Airbus either).

Think its just aptitude test first so will try prepare for that now.

Thanks again.

An aptitude test...:eek:
    Apologies, I must have misread it, I thought you were preparing for an interview.
    You can't really prepare for an aptitude test, it's one of those things you either have or you haven't. Having said that there are plenty of books and websites that can coach you through an aptitude tests but that still doesn't mean you have an 'aptitude', that's why they do interviews....:)
    Go ahead and practise for that then we'll get you ready for the interview...;)

An aptitude test...:eek:
    Apologies, I must have misread it, I thought you were preparing for an interview.
    You can't really prepare for an aptitude test, it's one of those things you either have or you haven't. Having said that there are plenty of books and websites that can coach you through an aptitude tests but that still doesn't mean you have an 'aptitude', that's why they do interviews....:)
    Go ahead and practise for that then we'll get you ready for the interview...;)

No prob :)

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

Hi, I got an invitation to the aptitude test this year, does anyone have any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Chandler Bing

I am about to get an apprenticeship at Atlantic Aviation Group. Do anyone know what do they pay?

Advertisement