Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External examiner

Options
  • 03-06-2015 7:38pm

Anyone ever get a request from their external examiner to raise grades? I'm pretty happy that my results are fair, but am meeting him tomorrow to discuss. Any stories or insights would be welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

External examiner for what course???

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    External examiner for what course???

It's hard to go into specifics, I'm sure you'll appreciate. But it's a 3rd level module, where my average is about 5% less than the other modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Has your head of dept any views on the matter?

TheBody wrote: »
    Has your head of dept any views on the matter?

It was actually her that raised the issue. I'm meeting the external at 11, will report back!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

It was actually her that raised the issue. I'm meeting the external at 11, will report back!

I've been asked to lower grades, and in one instance I agreed, when the extern pointed out to me a comparison with work from another student on the same grade. The rest of the time, I stood my ground.

Often it's a matter of opinion as to how you interpret a particular aspect of the work, or what emphasis you put on it. I had a case, for example, where the extern didn't agree with my breakdown of marks within the recommended marking scheme, but I pointed out that while her opinion was interesting, the breakdown wasn't written in stone, and I had the right to allocate the marks where I wished. (I said it nicely, of course!)

Have your documentation ready, and maybe some other students work to compare the work in question to.

Good luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement