Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric shaver broke after a couple of months

Options
  • 03-06-2015 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

I kept good care of it, ensured it was kept away from moisture damage etc, it has essentially broken for no reason.

What's my recourse here? Bought from a highstreet chain btw

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Bring it to the retailer and discuss your options around repair/replacement/refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Bring it to the retailer and discuss your options around repair/replacement/refund.
    Well yes that is what I was going to do... but I'd like to know what my rights are in case they try and fob me off. Electrical goods are covered by as consumer act for X months, are they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bring it back to the shop where you bought it. You've an implied two year warranty on electrical goods in the EU.

The shop can choose to send it off for a repair, they can replace it with a new one, or they can refund you the cost of it (less depreciation).

For an electric shaver, they may go with the middle one, but their policy may be to attempt a repair. If they do attempt a repair, you have to give them space to make a reasonable go at it. That is, if they fix it, great. If they hold onto it for 3 weeks and won't give you and update, that's not a reasonable timeframe and you should insist on a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Cool thanks. Do I need the receipt though?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Technically speaking, no. The contract exists regardless of whether you have the receipt or not.

But in reality without the receipt how does the retailer know that you purchased the item there and not somewhere else? A bank or card statement which shows the purchase may be accepted by some retailers. The receipt isn't the be-all and end-all provided that you can prove (somehow) that you bought the item in that shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

All the details and your rights are in the third thread on the consumers issues page. Everything you need to know is there.

You will find that most retailers will be very good about returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I bought my other half an electric shaver from Boots as a Christmas present and after three months, it stopped charging.

I didn't keep the receipt as he'd been using it every day since he got it and I figured it was OK.

So I contacted Boots, told them I had no receipt, and they weren't interested.

However, I was able to trace my transaction on their website as I had used my Boots card and it shows you your transactions there.
    Told the shop manager and she wasn't even aware of that feature on the site.

She didn't bother tracing the transaction as she said it'd take too long; she just took my word for it, and she gave me a replacement on the spot.

Also, before I found the transaction, I had contacted Phillips to tell them I had lost my receipt and what should I do?
    They told me nothing could be done without the receipt.

So you might have a job on your hands, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

fussyonion wrote: »
    I bought my other half an electric shaver from Boots as a Christmas present and after three months, it stopped charging.

I didn't keep the receipt as he'd been using it every day since he got it and I figured it was OK.

So I contacted Boots, told them I had no receipt, and they weren't interested.

However, I was able to trace my transaction on their website as I had used my Boots card and it shows you your transactions there.
    Told the shop manager and she wasn't even aware of that feature on the site.

She didn't bother tracing the transaction as she said it'd take too long; she just took my word for it, and she gave me a replacement on the spot.

Also, before I found the transaction, I had contacted Phillips to tell them I had lost my receipt and what should I do?

Generally without a receipt you will get an exchange with little fuss, as another poster said if you've paid by card a bank statement usually suffices.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,380 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

For something like an electric razor which you could have purchased outside the EU, they could be within their rights to deny a warranty claim without a receipt.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Thanks for reminding me, I contacted philips about a faulty shaver last year and they never got back to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement