Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry eye after PRK / LASEK

Options
  • 03-06-2015 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me how long dry eyes last after LASEK? I'm 8 weeks post op and while the first month was ok, all I expected it to be, the last 3 weeks I've had horrible yellowy red bloodshot eyes, 2 separate opticians said it was down to dry eyes and to keep using the librucsting drops, I've been going through almost a bottle a day trying to cure this and I see no improvement in the appearance of my eyes. While they don't feel as dry as they did, the still look horrible. Can anyone who's had the surgery tell me how long this lasted? Is it normal? Have I lost my sparkly eyes forever?! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

lemmno wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how long dry eyes last after LASEK? I'm 8 weeks post op and while the first month was ok, all I expected it to be, the last 3 weeks I've had horrible yellowy red bloodshot eyes, 2 separate opticians said it was down to dry eyes and to keep using the librucsting drops, I've been going through almost a bottle a day trying to cure this and I see no improvement in the appearance of my eyes. While they don't feel as dry as they did, the still look horrible. Can anyone who's had the surgery tell me how long this lasted? Is it normal? Have I lost my sparkly eyes forever?! :(

I have a friend that had Lasek and needed drops for 6 months after re dry eyes. He's fine now. Different reaction and full healing for different people I guess. I had Lasik done just 4 months ago and I still have some dry eye although not bloodshot or yellowy and would get at least two weeks out of a bottle if not more.

That sounds very strong in your case? Are you hydrating / drinking plenty of water? Also take fish oil or flax oil capsules. Stay away from smokey atmostpheres and limit time on computer etc. Your white eyes will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lemmno

I've been taking flaxseed, omega 3 and vitamin C, I've increased my water intake, I didn't wear make up for 5 weeks after surgery, I've not been around smokers...I've done everything by the book and my eyes are still dull and red, I wouldn't mind if it was just the dry eye but I can't even look at myself in the mirror as they look so horrible. I've taken lots of drops, I tried blink, hylo-care and vidisic. I tried warm compresses...the lot.

I'll also add here that they haven't been red from the beginning, this is new in the last couple of weeks. And they say it's just dry eye and to keep lubricating which i am doing but I see no difference.

Lots have told me they had dry eye but nobody else would have noticed it. Everyone notices my eyes are red :(

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

And how are they now?

CGI_3 wrote: »
    And how are they now?

Still terrible. 11 months later and huge regrets. Every day i wish I could turn back time and stop myself from walking into the laser clinic in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

Sorry to hear that. Used you wear contact lenses before or glasses?

• Advertisement

Yeah I wore both up until my first survey in 2009 when I got lasik. Vision regressed 5/6 years later so last year I went back for my free top up. And I've ironically been paying for it ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

lemmno wrote: »
    Yeah I wore both up until my first survey in 2009 when I got lasik. Vision regressed 5/6 years later so last year I went back for my free top up. And I've ironically been paying for it ever since.

Hope you can help me I got lasek two weeks ago and I can see way better than I did without glasses but everything still no 100 % when I look at text its blurry. Spoke to surgeon and he says they'll heal in a few weeks as lasek takes a longer healing time up to 8 weeks he said. It's only been 2 weeks since surgery so hopefully will have better results by then ? How long till you got perfect vision after yyour surgery?

Hope you can help me I got lasek two weeks ago and I can see way better than I did without glasses but everything still no 100 % when I look at text its blurry. Spoke to surgeon and he says they'll heal in a few weeks as lasek takes a longer healing time up to 8 weeks he said. It's only been 2 weeks since surgery so hopefully will have better results by then ? How long till you got perfect vision after yyour surgery?

It was a good 4/5 weeks so I wouldn't worry at all about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cornygall

Hi I'm sorry to hear that you had so much problems, who did you go with for your laser surgery? Do you think if you done Lasek the first time around you wouldn't had to go the 2nd time for surgery?? How bad were your eyes in the beginning?
    I was in Derry yesterday for my free consultation and the women told me I was a perfect candidate for laser surgery but because my cornea are thinner I could only go for Lasek (PRK) my eyes are both -2.25 , i think am gonna go for it before Christmas so I can get my tax back in January!!

Im kinda hoping because my eyes aren't that bad and both eyes have been the same for years now I will have a good chance on getting a good outcome!!! Been honest I don't like the sound off the longer recovery with Lasek, I would much preferred LASIK sounds like a lot less hassle and less time off work!!

cornygall wrote: »
    Hi I'm sorry to hear that you had so much problems, who did you go with for your laser surgery? Do you think if you done Lasek the first time around you wouldn't had to go the 2nd time for surgery?? How bad were your eyes in the beginning?
    I was in Derry yesterday for my free consultation and the women told me I was a perfect candidate for laser surgery but because my cornea are thinner I could only go for Lasek (PRK) my eyes are both -2.25 , i think am gonna go for it before Christmas so I can get my tax back in January!!

Im kinda hoping because my eyes aren't that bad and both eyes have been the same for years now I will have a good chance on getting a good outcome!!! Been honest I don't like the sound off the longer recovery with Lasek, I would much preferred LASIK sounds like a lot less hassle and less time off work!!

Hi there,
    I'll pm you!

• Advertisement

Update: eyes still unbearable. I don't do anything or go anywhere anymore as my eyes are so uncomfortable and hideous looking. Do not get the surgery if you are thinking about it.

Advertisement