Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday abroad with 16 months old

Options
  • 03-06-2015 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,

I would like to go abroad with my 16 months old, preferably any city in europe, even few days would do. My only concern holding me off from booking something is what to do if he gets sick. Do I research any hospitals closer to any hotel that I book? Do I need to know any doctors closer to hotel? Would hotels have these basic details? What if i book self catering apartment, would they be able to guide me to correct doctor or hospital?
    The reason I ask is, he has cold most of the time since hes been going to creche and is prone to ear infections due to cold, and would need antibiotics because of this.
    Hence I am worried what to do in case of ear infection or any sickness that calpol or neurofen wont help?
    Any experiences or advice is welcome.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

kknitter wrote: »
    Hi,

I would like to go abroad with my 16 months old, preferably any city in europe, even few days would do. My only concern holding me off from booking something is what to do if he gets sick. Do I research any hospitals closer to any hotel that I book? Do I need to know any doctors closer to hotel? Would hotels have these basic details? What if i book self catering apartment, would they be able to guide me to correct doctor or hospital?
    The reason I ask is, he has cold most of the time since hes been going to creche and is prone to ear infections due to cold, and would need antibiotics because of this.
    Hence I am worried what to do in case of ear infection or any sickness that calpol or neurofen wont help?
    Any experiences or advice is welcome.

Regards

I can't advise you what to do holiday wise but one thing I would suggest is that you apply for the European health insurance card from your local health office for each family member. This will entitle you to free public health access in European cities while you are away. It's free to apply. You should get it if you're traveling even to the UK and even if you have private travel insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

^^ this. Best thing ever. Our then 18 months old ran, tripped and crashed head first into a garden gate on holidays in Germany - got to see a paediatric doctor and a dentist free of charge, no dramas, everything covered, with the ehic card. ( he was fine in the end. There was just so much blood from cutting his lip, one tooth got chipped, and he had a massive bruise across his face, i wanted him to get checked out...)

Defo bring for peace of mind. Get one for yourself too, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

Thank you very much bovril and galah.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I went to fuerteventura when my child who has a constant cold / cheast problems was 16 months (at easter) and he was the healthiest hes been while in the warm weather despite spending most of his time in the sea or in pools. He was on antibiotics going over but the improvement when in warm weather was staggering.
    That said id be slow to go somewhere like that at the height of summer as I imagine he might not like the extreme heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 carrieblack

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I went to fuerteventura when my child who has a constant cold / cheast problems was 16 months (at easter) and he was the healthiest hes been while in the warm weather despite spending most of his time in the sea or in pools. He was on antibiotics going over but the improvement when in warm weather was staggering.
    That said id be slow to go somewhere like that at the height of summer as I imagine he might not like the extreme heat.

Nightmare when kids get sick abroad. Funny what you said about yours getting better we seem to be the opposite! We never go without a medicine box with calpol etc and prepare for the worst. The change of food change of germs etc even in nice places one of ours will always go down in first few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

to summarise, dont go somewhere real warm as that'd be too warm.
    Another person had a good experience with Germany as the EHIC works a treat should anything happen.

It actually wouldnt be far from what I'd advise.
    A city break to the likes of Munich would tick the boxes on what other posters are suggesting.
    Its warmer than Ireland, drier (summer days normally dry and then summer storms in the evening when youre at the hotel anyhow) than Ireland, but not as hot as the med.
    For small kids theres public outdoor pools for the hot days, indoor for the less hot days, "fairytale" parks , world class zoo, beergardens with playgrounds, 680 public playgrounds, top class public transport which is all buggy friendly, and no end of day trips to the alps or quaint towns should you need to get out of the city (and the train journies might be an adventure in itsself to the child).

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

Thank you all very much for the replies.. Appreciate it very muhc.. it has eased my worries a lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭crunchie1

we went to lisbon last year with a two yr old and 4 month old..no problem. Lisbon is relaxed, we stayed in a novotel which is a short ride on the underground which entertained the 2 yr old. we went in may weather was nice, but of mist and not too hot.not a lot to do just relax around the town but there is a good zoo also..

Advertisement