Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baxi Boiler Fan Gone

Options
  • 03-06-2015 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I have a baxi solo 3 pfl 60. Stopped working over the weekend.

Repair company called, told me the fan is gone and its €390 for the part new + €110 to fit it.

Anyone have any ideas where to acquire a second hand or refurbished fan reliably in Dublin?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

IanFrawls wrote: »
    I have a baxi solo 3 pfl 60. Stopped working over the weekend.

Repair company called, told me the fan is gone and its €390 for the part new + €110 to fit it.

Anyone have any ideas where to acquire a second hand or refurbished fan reliably in Dublin?

Thank you

I know nothing about boilers but a quick Google search and here you go:

http://www.gasparts.ie/boiler-spares/baxi-solo-3-60-70-80-pf-fan-unit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25 IanFrawls

stevek93 wrote: »
    I know nothing about boilers but a quick Google search and here you go:

Thanks - saw that one alright, trying to get the cost down more....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Buy it yourself and get someone to fit it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 IanFrawls

stevek93 wrote: »
    Buy it yourself and get someone to fit it?

That is the plan, the more options on places to buy the better. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Most suppliers in Dublin will not sell Gas Boiler parts to you unless you are a registered Gas Installer.
    And no RGI worth his salt is going to fit a second hand that he does not know where it came from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

***post deleted as advising someone to do illegal and dangerous gas works***

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Just find a decent honest RGII who will source and fit the part without taking you for a mug. Please let us hear from a RGII fitter as to the time it takes to replace a fan unit and test. It'll be about the same time it takes to drink his cup of tea??
    Boiler fans are a great way to make money as they are built to fail which is a disgrace in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

freddyuk wrote: »
    Just find a decent honest RGII who will source and fit the part without taking you for a mug. Please let us hear from a RGII fitter as to the time it takes to replace a fan unit and test. It'll be about the same time it takes to drink his cup of tea??
    Boiler fans are a great way to make money as they are built to fail which is a disgrace in my view.

Who says they're built to fail? Maybe ferroli, as they're the most common ones I change. It takes longer to change a fan than it does to drink tea too.
    110 to fit is about right. I don't know the price of the Baxi fan but 390 seems dear.
    You'd be in and out in an hour usually. Some more time consuming than others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Well you just said it!
    "the most common one I change" means you change a few and not just Ferrolli? Why do they keep failing? Cheap plastic fan blades which break up? Silly rubber butterfly flaps which drop off (WB Greenstar) ??

€110 to open the casing and remove 3 bolts and an electrical connector - remove fan - refitting is the reverse procedure. Do your gas checks and replace the casing. (you are probably not touching the gas supply at all). Have a cup of tea.

Nice work. But my point is they should not be failing unless it is designed as a "service" part so it can be changed/charged regularly. Trouble is less honest operators will be replacing the whole boiler for this fault.

€110 labour per hour is on the high side.? This is a public forum BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

freddyuk wrote: »
    Well you just said it!
    "the most common one I change" means you change a few and not just Ferrolli? Why do they keep failing? Cheap plastic fan blades which break up? Silly rubber butterfly flaps which drop off (WB Greenstar) ??

€110 to open the casing and remove 3 bolts and an electrical connector - remove fan - refitting is the reverse procedure. Do your gas checks and replace the casing. (you are probably not touching the gas supply at all). Have a cup of tea.

Nice work. But my point is they should not be failing unless it is designed as a "service" part so it can be changed/charged regularly. Trouble is less honest operators will be replacing the whole boiler for this fault.

€110 labour per hour is on the high side.? This is a public forum BTW.

Plastic fan blades?
    They work by fanning flue temps well over 100c and are a constant moving part so they take a lot of punishment.
    Plus, ferroli are notoriously bad and overpriced.
    110 isn't overpriced
    The hour I'm talking about doesn't include calling out to diagnose the fault, go to the merchants and pick up the fan, and go back to the house. Should I do that for free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

€110 to fit a fan in a boiler is far from excessive. Even if you don't touch the gas , a good rgi will do all his gas checks and an fga as standard as he is the one signing off the appliance as safe to use . And if your going to all that trouble you may aswell spend an extra 10 minutes cleaning it out , so the customer is getting a new part fitted and a service. As for them being built to fail? The fan sits on top of the heat exchanger and is constantly dealing with temps in excess of 100c , coupled with not being serviced and oiled up regularly, they can't last forever. Thank god , because broken fans are funding my Porsche

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Plastic fan blades?
    They work by fanning flue temps well over 100c and are a constant moving part so they take a lot of punishment.
    Plus, ferroli are notoriously bad and overpriced.
    110 isn't overpriced
    The hour I'm talking about doesn't include calling out to diagnose the fault, go to the merchants and pick up the fan, and go back to the house. Should I do that for free?

well your fuel is free,insurance,FGA free too and all your overheads and you manufactured the fan out the back garden!

all profit!

110 is cheap!!

Advertisement