Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android tablet recommendations

Options
  • 03-06-2015 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking for some recommendations on a new tablet as I have some long haul flights coming up this summer and will need something to pass the time.

I have been wanting the nexus 9 since it came out and at 400 yo yo's its at the top of my price point but I have heard mixed rumors.

I need something that isn't sluggish or jumpy as that will just annoy me. On the other side, I'm gonna be mostly consuming content, especially videos. Display would also be key. I like the size of the nexus 7 so something around that size would also be great.

I'm also a fan of stock android but once it doesn't have to much bloatware, that's also fine.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Should try the tablets forum. You'd get a better response there. The nexus looks amazing btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Could a mod please move so that I am not duplicating please? Sorry for the inconvenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I reckon either the N9 or N7 (make sure most recent model 2013) would fit your needs. I use both daily. N9 will continue to receives updates from Google longer as newer and Google not updating their tablet hardware this year. There is life left in the Nexus 7. I find the N7 more pocketable and portable than the N9. However the N9 has a larger screen which you may prefer. Argos and Amazon have had offers recently on both so shop around and search Bargain Alerts for Nexus.

Plenty of discussion on android tablets here in android forum so not sure whether a move is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

As a father of a toddler and needing to pass the hours away in the airport and plane I can tell you the battery life on the lenovo yoga tab is great. I pulled in easily 15 hours or so with my one. Watched movies and tv shows for the lil fella.
    kick stand on it is quite handy too.
    the argos price is a rip off at the minute.
    Amazon have it for 128 stg
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-8-inch-Tablet-Silver-Metal/dp/B00G459J5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433358175&sr=8-1&keywords=lenovo+yoga+8

still more than I paid for it but its quite good. display is really good too, never had any lag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Thanks for the input guys. I took a long hard look at the nexus 9 and the started reading some of the reviews on the nvidia shield tablet and was pretty excited about what people had to say about it. While its 12 months old (and something new will probably come along soon enough) I think its a greater bang for buck and as has some extra things that i'd definitely use.

I ended up ordering one on Saturday so will let you know how it all goes when it arrives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TomBtheGoat

OmegaRed wrote: »
    Thanks for the input guys. I took a long hard look at the nexus 9 and the started reading some of the reviews on the nvidia shield tablet and was pretty excited about what people had to say about it. While its 12 months old (and something new will probably come along soon enough) I think its a greater bang for buck and as has some extra things that i'd definitely use.

I ended up ordering one on Saturday so will let you know how it all goes when it arrives.

I have the Nividia Shield tablet, I got it about 8 months ago and I can't fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Twiggytwig

Hi all,

Sorry to jump in but didn't want to go starting a new thread... I have a €250 one4all voucher and would like to get a tablet with it.Would be willing to go to 350-400 but that's my limit. I'm looking for something that's pretty fast for browsing and would be able for streaming with a nice (preferably decent size) screen.

Am thinking of getting the nexus 9 but would like something with a micro sd slot if possible or something similar for easy transfer of media/expansion of memory......

Some advise would be really appreciated even in terms of the best value place to hit up with a one4all card!

Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Get the nexus 9, check to see if Argos still have not on offer.
    You can use nexus media importer app and an OTG cable to view media stored on USB devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Twiggytwig

Thanks Gran Hermanio - had a look at Argos online there and it looks as though they're a tenner dearer than currys so thinking of getting it there for 399.

Has anyone had any experience in the past with Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 or the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet 8''? They're basically the only other two I'm really looking at thusfar anyway....

Advertisement