Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary teaching which route????

Options
  • 03-06-2015 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello im yasmin, im 21 and have just discovered i really want to be a primary school teacher. The only problem is i have not got honours irish :( and my school didn't point out how important it is to have it! i havn't been to college before. I would ideally love to be qualifed in 4 years but its looking longer. I went to get some advise but im still torn and looking for help.

(a) i do Leaving cert irish again next year and hopefully get the C then apply for college (thats another 4 years) I was going to apply for a mature student but you still need the H irish don't you? also im 23 november 2016 and if a mature student is 23 i cannot qualify for the september can i ?? It would be great if you could study 1st year of teaching while studying irish that would be so much easier haha

or

(b) I wouldn't mind teaching outside ireland i was looking up UCAS in the Uk and you need a C in english maths and science for a primary teacher.. does anybody know if this is honours grade?? or another way to apply outside ireland?? Also will this cost much as i don't know how much the fees are... i havn't alot of money and i think i would apply for the susi grant over here and heard i can take that to england with me??

if i do the irish LC next year would you recommend grinds or do they do night classes?? im based in Laois, Im also a yapper and apologise for the rant im just so confused and would appreciate any help i can get :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Not sure about the grants, because I paid full whack. There's no way of starting it without honours Irish, so you'll have to do that first.

I'm not sure if you're a post-grad but the fastest route there is Hibernia.

A little bit of reality though, the primary jobs market in Ireland is dismal. I'm not sure if it will pick up, but there certainly wouldn't be any harm in doing the course in Scotland or England, teaching there and then doing Irish when you're ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 yasmin29x

Chloris wrote: »
    Not sure about the grants, because I paid full whack. There's no way of starting it without honours Irish, so you'll have to do that first.

I'm not sure if you're a post-grad but the fastest route there is Hibernia.

A little bit of reality though, the primary jobs market in Ireland is dismal. I'm not sure if it will pick up, but there certainly wouldn't be any harm in doing the course in Scotland or England, teaching there and then doing Irish when you're ready.

Thanks so much for getting back to me I appreciate your help im just a little all ovwr the placw at the minute ha I will look into the hibernation route for sure ðŸ˜thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

yasmin29x wrote: »
    Thanks so much for getting back to me I appreciate your help im just a little all ovwr the placw at the minute ha I will look into the hibernation route for sure ðŸ˜thanks again :)

You stated you haven't been to college before so the Hibernia route isn't an immediate option for you.

You have a few options:

(a) Repeat Honours Irish to get at least the C3 (and make sure you meet all the other minimum LC requirements);

(b) Go to the UK and complete an undergraduate primary teaching course, complete your probationary year there and return to Ireland afterwards to complete the SCG or OCG (this is to cover the Irish shortfall) and complete any other shortfalls that the Teaching Council may point out to you, seeing as UK courses may not meet the ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) requirements that courses in Ireland currently meet due to their length and content; or

(c) In no particular order, repeat Honours Irish and do any undergraduate Level 8 college course. After both have been taken care of, apply for the two-year Professional Master of Education course with any of the providers in the state.

Whatever you end up doing, it's going to take a lot of time and cost a good bit of money. Seeing as you haven't been to college before, if you choose to do an undergraduate degree in Ireland, you'll qualify for so-called 'free' fees, which means you still pay about €3000 a year to be admitted to college.

Advertisement