Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job offer today/interview in 10 days advice

Options
  • 02-06-2015 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Hi All, I'm looking for advice if possible:

Right so I'm based in England presently and work for an environmental multinational. I have gone for a new role higher up my current company and have been called to interview in 10 days time for this role. I would think I have a 60% chance of getting it, that could be out by 40% though! I don't know who else is being interviewed either internally or externally. In the meantime I have been offered a job/contract by a consultancy I interviewed for about 2-3 months ago today. They had to have a business case for my employment and had to go through their parent company to gain this. This has now happened hence my job offer. My heart probably says do the interview with my current company and leave the big decision to which job to go to if/when offered both jobs! How to I delay the consultancy job decision (as in to take it?!) for at least two weeks without them thinking I not that interested/have cold feet/am time wasting. Just to confirm that I would probably take the consultancy role but might side towards the new role in my company if offered after interview in say two weeks. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's a long time to sit on a job offer (though 2-3 months after the interview is also a long time to make an offer). You can probably buy a week by accepting verbally after a couple of days, and then sitting on the contract for another few. But I think 2 weeks is a long time to drag it out. I don't know if saying you're on holidays would work...

And are you sure that it'd only be a few days after the interview in your current company before they made an offer?

You had reasons for interviewing elsewhere, and they're rarely entirely about money. So put the money aside, and ask yourself if the new job in the company would address the reasons you wanted to leave, and see if it's definitely worth the risk.

Or you can play hardball and say you have an offer, but you want to stay so can the interview be moved up. Bit of a gamble as they might think you're set on leaving either way, but it's an option I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭franglan

Thanks very much for the response Eoin, I have signed the contract with the consultancy and will be handing in my resignation on Friday. I'm going to say to my boss that I'm basically leaving him either way but would like to interview in our current company and see how it goes. I would appreciate if he didn't spread it around the work place until I do the interview (I have a junior who would possibly step in and take my job so there's a natural succession there). Think we have a good enough relationship for me to say that to him. I know it's completely up to him who he tells the minute I hand into resignation.

In relation to reasons for potentially jumping ship into consultancy; it's the array of projects I could work on and ultimately it would make me more attractive to employers wether it be in the consultancy sector or private sector back in Ireland.

Advertisement