Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car rental...credit card

Options
  • 02-06-2015 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi guys, Hoping someone may be able to help me out. We are travelling to Fuertaventura on Thursday and have prepay a rental car. On looking at the rental voucher it says we will need a credit card when pick up the car and that they wont accept debit cards.
    We dont have a credit card so I was just wondering if I'm gonna have trouble when we go to pick up the car :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Hi guys, Hoping someone may be able to help me out. We are travelling to Fuertaventura on Thursday and have prepay a rental car. On looking at the rental voucher it says we will need a credit card when pick up the car and that they wont accept debit cards.
    We dont have a credit card so I was just wondering if I'm gonna have trouble when we go to pick up the car :confused:

Yes, you won't be able to rent without a credit card.

They need one on file for the deposit and any fines you may incur

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭shannonman81

Yes, you won't be able to rent without a credit card.

They need one on file for the deposit and any fines you may incur

Sh*te anyway.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Some operators may accept a debit card, putting through a big hold on this.
    Get on the case now, do not just show up at the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Hertz would be your best bet, they take debit card.

I've booked already with goldcar in fuertaventura. I have mailed them this evening so hopefully get some kind of confirmation on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

If you can cancel, you should.

Goldcar have a terrible reputation for overcharging and hitting customers for "damage" and/or fuelling costs. They also run a fleet of cars that might not be safe. Have a look on TripAdvisor forums for evidence of it. They're notorious!

If you do cancel, try Autoreisen or PlusCar. Neither charge until arrival and neither need a credit card. A Visa Debit will do nicely. Their cars aren't new, but they're in perfect order. If you want to pay a little extra for something newer, Cabrera Medina also accept debit cards. All three have offices at the airport.

Eponymous wrote: »

Goldcar have a terrible reputation for overcharging an8d hitting customers for "damage" and/or fuelling costs. They also run a fleet of cars that might not be safe. Have a look on TripAdvisor forums for evidence of it. They're notorious!

If you do cancel, try Autoreisen or PlusCar. Neither charge until arrival and neither need a credit card. A Visa Debit will do nicely. Their cars aren't new, but they're in perfect order. If you want to pay a little extra for something newer, Cabrera Medina also accept debit cards. All three have offices at the airport.

Ya I have since read the reviews and it doesn't look good.
    Cancelling might be the best option now...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Goldcar have a terrible reputation for overcharging and hitting customers for "damage" and/or fuelling costs. They also run a fleet of cars that might not be safe. Have a look on TripAdvisor forums for evidence of it. They're notorious!

+1 Goldcar are not worth it and you have to drop back the car empty which is impossible and the money they charge you for fuel is too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

can also vouch for Cabrera Medina, i rented a car with them for a week in april, citroen c3 with 100k on the clock but it was fine and cheap as chips! they took a €50 cash deposit which was returned when i dropped back the car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

aaakev wrote: »
    can also vouch for Cabrera Medina, i rented a car with them for a week in april, citroen c3 with 100k on the clock but it was fine and cheap as chips! they took a €50 cash deposit which was returned when i dropped back the car
    I usually use Cabrera Medina myself, got a great deal on a 7 seater last time out (a brand new Zafira) as a walk in to their office in Matagorda.

I'm using PlusCar in September following recommendations from friends who used them for 1 or 2 week rentals. A bit cheaper for the type of car I'm looking to hire this time out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Stiro05

I have booked a car with a crowd called indigo car hire based in the uk. They offer hire cars nearly anywhere in Europe using just a debit card. I collect my car on Monday in Barcelona so hopefully fingers crossed everything works out ok.

Just an update on this. We rang goldcar before we left and explained the credit card situation. They said we would have to take out their insurance, we were renting two cars so they actually gave us a discount I'd about 70 Euro so it worked out at 150 each for their insurance.

Apart from that they were a pleasure to deal with. And to be honest it was our issue that we didn't read the terms and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cookie*

Goldcar are not very good at all. I would avoid. Also Firefly not great as they can sneak in extra charges as well re: fuel and insurance. Most car hire companies don't take debit cards as they take a security deposit on credit card and cannot do this with debit cards.

Advertisement