Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glorification of Killers

Options
  • 02-06-2015 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2935918/The-world-s-deadly-sniper-Royal-Marine-said-173-confirmed-kills-coming-one-six-month-tour-Afghanistan.html

I'm quite a paciffist, so perhaps im a little more sensitive to the general population in regards to this story.
    Its from a rag of a paper so i would normally ignore but where i seen the link is what really got me questioning the way we think. It was on a Social media page of a pal of mine that would be a pretty high rank in the Irish defence forces, the article speaks of a British Sniper that has killed 173 people and speaks of him as a legend and inspirational and the responses to the social media post have been similar with words like “hero" being used.
    Am i missing something? Since when did blowing another human beings brains out become something for hero worship over here? Are the Irish army not meant to be peacekeepers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

he's killing people who are doing their best to kill him, its a war

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

I agree with you on the glorification of war. But the context is that these killings are in wartime conflict and under the rules of law.

I agree with you to glorify it is wrong. It also trivializes their job to the level of a video game. It send out a terrible signal.

They are not gangsters.

Killing and terrible behaviors are waaaay too glorified in this society.

I too consider myself to be a pacifist by the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Its entertainment for the masses

The big guys at the top don't care what it is so long as they keep getting nearly all of the money.

Brutally harsh but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

There are a few different arguments that can be made here, none of which should belittle the taking of a life.

Firstly, it shows poor tact on behalf of your friend who represents the Defence Forces as an organisation and Ireland on an international stage. It's not ok to go on social media and big up this type of thing. It sends a poor message.

Secondly, context is a remarkable thing. I would be positive that those 173 kills were legitimate targets. Each one would have no doubt saved lives, ironically.

Thirdly, on a purely technical level. That amount of legitimate recorded kills in that space of time for a sniper is, unfortunately, impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

nokia69 wrote: »
    he's killing people who are doing their best to kill him, its a war

I like most would love if they weren't happening at all but unfortunately that's not happening anytime soon if ever(pretty certain never) but its how it's portrayed that disgusts me. The mans doing his job and is effective at it it would seem but a Legend? A hero? Really? Really? I don't think this is a world i feel comfortable with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭SummerSummit

I like most would love if they weren't happening at all but unfortunately that's not happening anytime soon if ever(pretty certain never) but its how it's portrayed that disgusts me. The mans doing his job and is effective at it it would seem but a Legend? A hero? Really? Really? I don't think this is a world i feel comfortable with.

IDK if Islamic State come over here and start raping your wife and choping off your childrens head, you can tell the army sniper he's not a hero. He put his life on the line, but **** it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

IDK if Islamic State come over here and start raping your wife and choping off your childrens head, you can tell the army sniper he's not a hero. He put his life on the line, but **** it.

So which side of the fence are you on?

Context is everything. The man works to minimise threat by eliminating the source of it in war situation. It's his job, and I'm sure it costs him mentally, but it makes innocent people safer.

It's not like he's picking people off in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

He killed 173 Islamic State lads? He must be some shot if he hit them all the way from Afghanistan!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

All we are saying, is give peace a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭SummerSummit

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    He killed 173 Islamic State lads? He must be some shot if he hit them all the way from Afghanistan!

Yeah where did I say he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Since when did blowing another human beings brains out become something for hero worship over here?

That article says he took down 90 Taliban soldiers in one day and has a total kill count of 173 in 5 tours of duty?

Those numbers make no sense.

What's a redcoat doing over 3400 miles from home, anyways?

Advertisement