Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Exposures

Options
  • 02-06-2015 8:38pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My new camera does Double exposures in camera. I know its probably better doing them in photoshop - but I'd like to try this for a start. A quick google finds some really cool ones - but I'm lost as to how to do this? I assume there is a particular technique to doing it this way, exposure and order etc.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

They can be very hit and miss. I've tried it a few times and the below is the only one that worked half decent.

I took the selfie first and make sure I had a lot of white space in the frame. I then ran across the road and took the the next frame deliberately out of focus of a petrol station.

As it was night the dark parts in the second shot overlay the subject in the original image.

Lots of trial and error required!

12901995923_b4013c609e_c.jpg
    Double exposure

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

The general rule is to underexpose by a half stop for every exposure.

So if you are planning on doing two exposures, you set the exposure to 1 stop below the meter reading. For three, it's a stop and a half, etc. Different situations may require tweaking, though.

For example, to replicate the photos in your google search:

Exposure 1: A portrait of the person, against a white or bright background. You could shoot this using a correct spot-exposure on the person's face (note: do not use an average of the entire scene - remember that you want to wash out the background), or by reducing that spot-exposure by a 1/2 stop.

Exposure 2: A picture of whatever you wish to superimpose over the head in the first frame. You could shoot this at -1/2 stop, or whatever works best. Since the background of the first frame is already overexposed, it will record less information than the head area, and you should end up with that funky True Detective effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

This is a shot (or a pair) taken by accident on film back in 1987!!!!!!

350908.jpg

The cliffs of Moher with trees.

Advertisement