Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building A PC

Options
  • 02-06-2015 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi Boards

I'm building a PC for the first time. It's key purpose is for gaming. I want to play latest games that are on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 but also the games that are on Steam for example Rust and Day Z.

I'm having issues picking out the parts for my PC. I know how to put the PC to together but i'm afraid buying the wrong parts and they won't match so I have some questions.

First component i'm buying is the processor but how do I tell if the processor matches the chipset of the motherboard that I buy with it or should I wait and buy the processor first and read the manual that comes with that. I know already that processor has to match the socket of the motherboard.

Second any recommendations on what graphics card I should buy for my build.

Thirdly am I right in saying that 8GB of RAM is more than enough.

I think that is everything that I needed answered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

For AMD builds, the processor and board with both have the socket type in their names, e.g. AM3, FM3+
    Same with Intel but the sockets have different names, e.g. LGA 1150, LGA 1155

Card depends on your budget and resolution
    8gb ram is enough.

You can rival an Xone for €500, PS4 is a bit more powerful but can still be beaten hands down for maybe €700

If you post a budget I, or someone else on the forum can give you a good list of compatible parts to buy.

It seems expensive, but the games are dirt cheap. I've averaged at spending about €3.50 per game I own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Fill this out first, then one of the lads will be able to post up a build for you.

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

Also, https://www.pcpartpicker.com can be a good help.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 wanderer672

Hi Digital Solitude

My Budget is €500 but I can raise if I need to. I only make €985 a month the rest of my money goes to paying for travel on Irish Rail and Dublin Bus, Food and Netflix and Sky bills. I'm doing part time work at moment as Custom Administrator.

If you could give me list of parts I would be grateful.

Netflix is vital!

i3 4160
    Gtx 750ti
    MSI h81 p33
    Seagate Barracuda 1tb
    Zalman T4
    400w PSU, BeQuiet System Power 7 or something
    8gb Crucial Ballistix Sport RAM

Should run you to roughly 500, can add a few upgrades in time if you want.

Get 1 8gb stick of DIMM RAM, everything else is fairly straightforward

• Advertisement

Hi Tony1980

1. What is your budget? [€500]

2. Key purpose is for gaming.

3. I will most likely want Windows as my OS. I prefer Windows 7 to use.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Unfortunately I do not have desktop at moment but I am using a notebook. Could I use the processor from it and the RAM. The processor is AMD A8-6410 with AMD Radeon R5 Quad Core 2Mhz and has 8GB of RAM installed DDR3

5. I would like to have a monitor.

5a. The size wouldn't bother me to much but I could use my television it's 32" in the mean while if I wanted until I have money to get monitor depending on how much they are.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    I don't have monitor but I would definitely upgrade if I only got a starter monitor to use.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?
    I have mouse with scroll wheel I could get simple keyboard and that would do the job.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No would you recommend it. I don't exactly have any experience in overclocking tbh.

8. How can you pay? Credit Card

9. When are you purchasing?
    Don't have exact time frame still deciding on how much I'll actually need to spend.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?
    I live in the north side of Dublin in the Fingal area.

Hi Digital Solitude

Thanks for the list of parts for my build and Netflix is great especially the american Netflix but I've heard people getting knocked off the american Netflix haha.

I'm happy that you selected Intel for the processor. I know Intel is good for performance and AMD is cheaper which is great for a bugdets but are just as good.

One query with this build will I be able to play most games that are on Steam and next gen consoles?

Tony1980 thanks for the links I've bookmarked them. I should of mentioned earlier before starting the thread that I have been using PCPartPicker.com and other sites like Newegg, Amazon.co.uk, Komplett.ie and many other sites.

I know PCPartPicker shows you what motherboard is compatible with your processor but I wanted to be sure I didn't know how reliable the site was but thanks for all helpful info.

Ive been using the American for a good while no bother, I'd say its safe enough.

The 750Ti can run The Witcher 3 at about 30fps, which is the standard the PS4 and XOne run at, so that's where you are. With time it'll start to get left behind, but it'll last for several years before an upgrade will be really necessary, and even then it might just be a case of upgrading the card

DS's. build is the best you can hope for at that budget I'd say, if you could wait a little longer and stretch your budget to 650 or 700, you could have a lovely upgradeable machine. You can always add a 1080P monitor later when you have the money.

What they've got is nice enough to start off with to be honest, I put €500 into my first build and I'm glad that's all I spent on it, I happened to like PC gaming and I got the hardware bug, but not everyone will be so pleased with their investment

• Advertisement

Link to windows key that the guys here use, Windows 7 is available here too http://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/comments/2zmufy/hwindows_788181_noffice_20102013all_other/

Thanks for the info Digital Solitude looking forward to building it now.

I'll let you Know in next few weeks how I get on.

Thanks tony1980 I'll save that link for later on when installing the OS.

Best of luck with the build, enjoy!

Advertisement