Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MASTERS DEGREE IN SPECIAL ED.

Options
  • 02-06-2015 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi I was just wondering if there is still an allowance available for a masters degree.I am currently teaching 20 hrs with a cid in a special school and was thinking of doing a masters in special ed. It will take me 2 yrs as I have to do thehigher diploma in st pats first for 1 year than the masters the following year.

Has anyone done this?

I presume it will be a big undertaking as I travel a long distance to work daily and have a baby also. I have been thinking about it for a while now so am keen to get the ball rolling.

Just wondering if when done it will benefit me financially?

Its not the be all and end all but would be a nice bonus. Thanks .Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated maybe from someone who has gone down this road.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

The allowance for the masters has been done away with. However, when you do the maths the allowance would have just about paid off the cost of the masters in about 10 years! So as far as being worth it... financially no, educationally yes.

In terms of future teaching prospects/promotions etc I think having a masters is kind of par for the course. You might get the odd parent (or teacher!) who will demand to know how you are qualified to give opinion x,y,z about a child's needs so it's a further form of credibility. It'll also help you if you are dealing with inspections by the Dept, or drawing down resources if you can quote the relevant legislation/circulars/guidelines too.

AS well as St. PAts, the last time I checked UCD did a 2 evening a week 2yrs part time masters, TCD did a 1 evening a week 2yr PArt time Masters... both of these award the Diploma in SEN after 1 year of the course although most people just carry on and get the masters.

You can also claim TAX relief on the cost of the course CLICK HERE.

There's another teachers refund of fees scheme by the Dof Ed run through Marino College but I'm not too sure of the details Click Here. More info on the ASTI website HERE.

Advertisement