Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

223 Hornady 35g Ammo @ 4000fps

Options
  • 02-06-2015 7:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

I'm usually a day late and a dollar short on these things, but I noticed Hornady USA have a new 223 round listed at 4000fps MV.

Know absolutely nothing about them, but thought it might be interesting.

Since the gases exit the barrel at c.4500 - 5000 fps this is about as fast as the 223 can go IMHO.

http://www.hornady.com/store/223-Rem-gr-NTX/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

Trajectory like a laser too ! Are they available here though? I havent even seen the 40g in a while..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

They are all i used for about a year in my .223 and they are a feckin serious round! They are lazer straight and devastating on a fox, they expel so much energy. Most damage i had was a chest shot that near completely blew the other side of the ribs out of a skinny fox. I was buying them for €22.50 a box when buying 5 boxes a go. Stopped buying them when they became hard to get because i was shooting that much i couldn't be changing rounds all the time

Edit. Sorry i was talking about the 40gr, miss read the OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Had a look at 40gr vs 35gr on Hornady website earlier - virtually no difference between them wrt ballistics, if you discount the fact that one breaks into 4000fps territory.

And they call the pill a different acronym to the Vmax, but it looks very similar.

They also have superformance 75gr @ almost 3000fps and a very nice-looking 68gr offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

The exact same reason I stopped using them aaakev ! They werent on the shelves of my local store for a long time but that was before buying ammo online came along. I switched to the 53g Superformance but would love to get the 40g again...If I find them in stock Ill definitely be spending the few bob and buying bulk, Ive a few more foxes to clear up before theres space in the ammo safe :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I found myself calling around and traveling an hour or more to get them buying 5 boxes a go, became a pain in the ass! 50gr fiochie for me now, €42 for 50 rounds and they are great but I too would go back to the 40gr in a heartbeat if I could get my hands on 5 or 6 boxes for a decent price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Maybe it's just me but I have not had good results with superformance in 223.

Firing them from a tikka tactical 1:8 24" barrel.

The 53gr Superformance were not great, fire a shot or two and then the next one was a flier. I had another lad on here try them in my rifle, same results. Also they were tight to chamber.

55gr gmx superformance were worse, literally they would not group at all. Again, two members on here tried and got the same results in my rifle.

Possibly the twist rate was too tight for the slightly hotter superformance loads and they might be fine in another rifle.

Five minutes later switched back to Norma 50gr v max and instantly perfect groups again. Pity this ammo is so hard to come by.

The 40gr vmax from hornady are excellent too and great value per 100. Real little rockets with devastating performance. For the 1:8 twist the 35gr might just be too light.

I've used the 75gr bthp match ammo and found these excellent but I think I will give superformance a miss in 223 in my current rifle though.

I've come to think the 35gr/4000fps .223 is aimed at holding ground from the .204.

Not a bad idea - makes the .223 appear more versatile to newcomers.

amadablam wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but I have not had good results with superformance in 223.

Firing them from a tikka tactical 1:8 24" barrel.

The 53gr Superformance were not great, fire a shot or two and then the next one was a flier. I had another lad on here try them in my rifle, same results. Also they were tight to chamber.

55gr gmx superformance were worse, literally they would not group at all. Again, two members on here tried and got the same results in my rifle.

Possibly the twist rate was too tight for the slightly hotter superformance loads and they might be fine in another rifle.

Five minutes later switched back to Norma 50gr v max and instantly perfect groups again. Pity this ammo is so hard to come by.

The 40gr vmax from hornady are excellent too and great value per 100. Real little rockets with devastating performance. For the 1:8 twist the 35gr might just be too light.

I've used the 75gr bthp match ammo and found these excellent but I think I will give superformance a miss in 223 in my current rifle though.

Have not tried superformance in my T3 Varmint 1:8 but have heard similar reports on here.

Just finished some accurizing on my rig - 1lb trigger/ pillar bedding - and finally got around to relieving the stock near the action, where it was binding with the barrel.
    Tried some 55gr VMax and shot into 15mm group. Could only get 1" -1.5" with them before.

Hornady have 75gr superformance on their web - MV reportedly 2900+fps - might work in T3 Tac if you could get them.

Advertisement