Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dingle Adventure Race

Options
  • 01-06-2015 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Competing in the DAR this weekend.
    Quick question, I'm reading the equipment list for you're backback.
    I obviously want to keep the weight down and when I look at pictures of the races lots of people have no backpack.

Is it really necessary?

Cheers guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

I haven't done DAR yet but have done a few others. My kit was only checked once and that was in KAR 2014.

Compulsory Kit is small enough.

If I don't take a pack, il make sure I wear a light wind proof top and a Camelpak. There will be a drinks bottle on your bike anyway.

Put a field dressing / small first aid kit / survival blanket / energy bar, whistle into the pocket of my wind proof top or Camelpak. Wear the buff.

It's all very light and hardly noticeable. It says there's a time penalty for kit deficiencies. If you are not looking to win, then fcuk it :). Do bring a first aid kit though....or at least a bandage but your buff could be used if needed.

Best of luck at the weekend, wish I was doing it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Kerryfootball

I haven't done DAR yet but have done a few others. My kit was only checked once and that was in KAR 2014.

Compulsory Kit is small enough.

If I don't take a pack, il make sure I wear a light wind proof top and a Camelpak. There will be a drinks bottle on your bike anyway.

Put a field dressing / small first aid kit / survival blanket / energy bar, whistle into the pocket of my wind proof top or Camelpak. Wear the buff.

It's all very light and hardly noticeable. It says there's a time penalty for kit deficiencies. If you are not looking to win, then fcuk it :). Do bring a first aid kit though....or at least a bandage but your buff could be used if needed.

Best of luck at the weekend, wish I was doing it :)

Thanks a million for the help, greatly appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Thanks a million for the help, greatly appreciated

I think you would get more posting this in the triathlon/duathlon/adventure racing forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Scarty

Hi guys,

Competing in the DAR this weekend.
    Quick question, I'm reading the equipment list for you're backpack
    I obviously want to keep the weight down and when I look at pictures of the races lots of people have no backpack.

Is it really necessary?

Cheers guys

Hey,
    From a few adventure races I have completed, also Doing the DAR at the weekend
    Mostly As what Señor Fancy Pants said, kits are checked only once (usually at the starting pin)

Everyone who is doing the DAR will be getting a cycling Jersey, you will be able to fit your kit and a few energy bars into the back pockets, save you bring a backpack or a Camelbak/bladder,

This is what I will be doing, save me bring any backpack/ be bring water on the bike, depending on what race you doing,
    I doing the DAR Sport, I know full is different, they will be on their bike once,

Hope this help,

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Mandatory kit is mandatory for a reason.

Just because others are skirting the rules does not make it ok. Ask the question of the organisers and if you see someone without a backpack why not ask them for advice on how they are carrying their gear.

Planning your race will allow you to store food and water on the bike so you don't have to carry all from the start. But don't be caught out on the hills without weather protection. Twist an ankle and you could be in trouble without the right gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Presumably folks change their footwear when transitioning from the bike to the mountain run. Do we have to carry our running shoes in a backpack while cycling up the Conor Pass? Or can we leave them at the transition point at the start of the mountain stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Potential for good conversation can a Mod push this over to the right forum please?
    Presumably folks change their footwear when transitioning from the bike to the mountain run. Do we have to carry our running shoes in a backpack while cycling up the Conor Pass? Or can we leave them at the transition point at the start of the mountain stage?

The handiest thing is bringing them with you. You know where they are (in the backpack) and they are not likely to get kicked around in transition either. Also if the weather is poor, they'll be drier in the bag = easier to get feet into.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

zulutango wrote: »

I did DAR at the weekend. I used cycling shoes for the bike (naturally...) but brought my trail runners for the rest of it. I have two bottle holders on the downtubes, so I put one runner in each, with a short bungee to hold them in place. Worked out fine. I can post a pic if you like.

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

I come from a hillwalking/scouting background, so I always bring the mandatory kit. As it was, I had a long sleeve technical base layer and cycling t-shirt, buff and light wind cheater on and was still cold getting to the top of Brandon. The wind was horrid.
    The kit itself isn't heavy or bulky and I carry most of it in my Camelbak if I'm not wearing it.

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Kerryfootball

I must say that you certainly needed the layers on mount Brandon.

Fantastic day , very sore yesterday and today!

The wind certainly made the mountain stage difficult.

• Advertisement
Advertisement