Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trick for CA Glue finishes...

Options
  • 01-06-2015 12:40pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Quick note for wood turners and others.
    I've been working on my finishes and one that I thought I wouldn't be crazy about turned out to be the one I like most on small items and that's CA Glue (Super glue for the uninitiated!).

This is a finish that lots of people use and you can find a lot of (different) videos about how to use it. My one addition is the last step which I discovered by accident and haven't seen anyone recommend. After I sand to 600 (and use a light touch with power sanding to avoid circles in your finish but also avoid sanding through the CA glue)... I then hit it with two doses of Mylands Burnishing Cream. It REALLY brings up the glass like shine, makes a big difference to the finish.

I dunno if you could use this finish on anything but small turning projects but I highly recommend using some burnishing cream at the end if you do.

Oh and btw, don't use CA Glue on Laquer. Ever! :)
    I made this:
    17722156433_00725a927f_z.jpg20150407_154746 by Tom Murphy, on Flickr

and tried to put a CA glue finish on it and it turned into this...

18316370536_904aeffd26_z.jpgscrewed by Tom Murphy, on Flickr

:eek::(

Advertisement