Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lostcousins.com

Options
  • 01-06-2015 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi,

There is a website called lostcousins.com where you enter your relatives from the 1911 census and if somebody else enters the same relatives, the website will tell you. You can also enter relatives from certain censuses from Canada, the USA and the UK if you have any.

I don't think many members of the site are Irish though as I have entered 133 relatives who are on the 1911 census returns and I haven't got a single match.

So, I thought I'd spread the word of this site to Irish genealogists. :)

The system is highly accurate as it only matches you with people who have entered the same census return information.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Will give it a go later - having something like this for free (at least I'm assuming its free...) is very useful as while Ancestry and similar services already offer it, it depends on people having paid money to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I found a lot of cousins through Ancestry already, but I'd certainly be interested in giving Lostcousins a go for those few brick walls. Thanks for posting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Thanks for the link. It does not recognise fadas so that may cause problems for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

L1011 wrote: »
    Will give it a go later - having something like this for free (at least I'm assuming its free...) is very useful as while Ancestry and similar services already offer it, it depends on people having paid money to do it.
    Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I found a lot of cousins through Ancestry already, but I'd certainly be interested in giving Lostcousins a go for those few brick walls. Thanks for posting it.

Its free up until the website matches you with a cousin and then one of you will have to pay the fee to get into contact with the other one. But where the site really excels is in how it matches you with your cousin. The information it uses to match you is the number on each image of the handwritten census return on the National Archives Census Website. The number is found in the URL. E.g. census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai*********/
    traprunner wrote: »
    Thanks for the link. It does not recognise fadas so that may cause problems for some people.

I think the reason for that is because some people wouldn't think of entering fadas in the first place so everybody will then be entering the same characters without fadas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Oh I missed that it's not free to contact people!

It's £10 for a year, so probably worth it, once you get a match. I added a bunch of ancestors yesterday but no matches at all.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Oh I missed that it's not free to contact people!

It's £10 for a year, so probably worth it, once you get a match. I added a bunch of ancestors yesterday but no matches at all.

The creator of the site said that people who are of mainly English ancestry are more likely to find matches on their first day of joining as the site has more coverage of the British censuses as opposed to the Irish and North American censuses.

And our privacy is completely protected as well.

Advertisement