Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed term posts readvertised after year 1

Options
  • 01-06-2015 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

Just reading on TUI News.
    Post automatically advertised after Year 1
    all teachers on their first fixed-term contract will have their
    positions terminated at the end of year 1. The position will
    automatically be re-advertised and a new recruitment process
    undertaken. Therefore, the teacher will need to apply for and
    interview for the position at the end of year 1.

Whats the logic behind this? Is this not just creating more interviews where people will attend and the job is already essentially guaranteed to someone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Just reading on TUI News.

Whats the logic behind this? Is this not just creating more interviews where people will attend and the job is already essentially guaranteed to someone?

Its part of the ward report recommendations. Its effectively your interview for permanency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Maybe not everyone will be kept

seavill wrote: »
    Maybe not everyone will be kept

That's what I mean.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Its part of the ward report recommendations. Its effectively your interview for permanency.

If it's your interview for permanency there should be no other candidates; just you justifying yourself as to why you should remain in your job.

Permanent jobs have always been advertised fully and full interview process with other candidates

• Advertisement

Permanent jobs have always been advertised fully and full interview process with other candidates

Yes, but if you have done an interview for a permanent job in the first place, at the end of the probationary year your position should be reviewed, after a year of supervision and support. Without the pressure of other candidates in the equation.

If it is found that the person is not suitable for the job, then it can be re-advertised.

What's your point thats not how it works so what are we talking about

What's your point thats not how it works so what are we talking about

The point is that I am addressing the issue raised in the OP...

All fixed term job were readvertised

That's the long and the short of it. There's no mention of probation etc. If you are reappointed you will get a cid so it is effectively an interview for a permanent position.

As seavill pointed out someone could well be dropped after year one.

The point was what's the logic you came back with a new system that isn't used. Anyway this isn't helping either

• Advertisement

All fixed term job were readvertised

That's the long and the short of it. There's no mention of probation etc. If you are reappointed you will get a cid so it is effectively an interview for a permanent position.

As seavill pointed out someone could well be dropped after year one.

The OP asked what the logic of it was...hence a discussion of the issue. What's what forums are for...

katydid wrote: »
    The OP asked what the logic of it was...hence a discussion of the issue. What's what forums are for...

The logic is that with a two year cid period employers will probably feel more comfortable having a second shot at recruiting for the position.

I'm not saying its a good idea, its the only logic I can see in it though.

The logic is that with a two year cid period employers will probably feel more comfortable having a second shot at recruiting for the position.

I'm not saying its a good idea, its the only logic I can see in it though.

Yes, I agree, but it should be a two step process. First, the teacher in situ should be given the chance to show they deserve to be kept on. And if it is decided that they are not suitable, then stage two should kick in, the recruitment of someone else should take place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I suppose the subtlety is in the word 'permanency'. Permanency should imply 22hrs whereas you could, in reality, be re-applying for an 8hr fixed term contract again!.... and then does that mean at the end of year 2 you would be obliged to compete yet again for the CID.

I get the feeling no matter what teacher goes for a few hours of a job they should think themselves 'not quite good enough' even when they get accepted, as they will have to re-interview another 2 times again. Am I misreading something here?

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I suppose the subtlety is in the word 'permanency'. Permanency should imply 22hrs whereas you could, in reality, be re-applying for an 8hr fixed term contract again!.... and then does that mean at the end of year 2 you would be obliged to compete yet again for the CID.

I get the feeling no matter what teacher goes for a few hours of a job they should think themselves 'not quite good enough' even when they get accepted, as they will have to re-interview another 2 times again. Am I misreading something here?

I take your point on the permanent whole time idea.

Once you have completed two years you are entitled to a CID now unless its a jobshare (must check other exceptions can't remember) and additional hours in your subject should be offered to you in the future unless. In that sense you're not going anywhere!!

I don't want to get into good teacher / bad teacher. I am worried that it may be abused by a few.

I think there has to be a better system though. A good teacher might have a bad year in a particular school, I hate to think that that could be the end of them. The first year in a school can be hard no matter how long you're at it. What do you do if years 2, 3 and 4 aren't any better?? Should there be a chance to move to a different type of school?

Until there is an answer and a panel of some sort new teachers will be picked up and dropped every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Gebgbegb wrote: »

My understanding of the new rules is that someone who gets a Cid of 8hrs will have their Cid increased once they hold the extra hours for a full year. So for example, you get a Cid of 8hrs after year 2. In year 3 you teach 22 hours. Your Cid will be brought up to 22 hours in year 4 provided the extra hours are not someone else's sick leave etc...

I'm open to correction on the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Your hours will be increased IF there are hours to give you, in your subject. Also remember a loNger CID gets offered them first etc etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

You have to do two years with the new hours also. It's basically building up your CID again. At least under the old rules. I haven't seen anything that has changed this.

Advertisement