Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railway Jobs

Options
  • 31-05-2015 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

In one branch of my ancestry in 1901 & 1911 census there were 4 brothers and some of their sons who all worked on the Railways, with jobs as porters, signalmen, ticket checkers and one station master.
    Can anyone comment on what the jobs involved e.g. were there qualifications or exams required to be signalman, or was it just experience? How did a man get promoted? What was status of different jobs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

You might get the details you are looking for from the Irish Railway Record Society. Their website is http://www.irrs.ie/ and they are based at Heuston Station in Dublin.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The IRRS have extremely good records of some of the railway companies and more patchy of others - really depends on what happened to them. My brother has seen an ancestors detailed personnel record from the Dublin & South Eastern (which merged to the GSR which basically became CIE). If they worked on a railway that closed or merged before the GSR formation there may be less records around.

Training was basically all internal and promotion was done on merit and occasionally the tiniest bit of nepotism.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Kurgan

351183.jpg

Dropped into the Railway Society not so long ago to check for an ancestors
    staff record who worked at Macmine Station as a Platelayer/Ganger between 1896-1935.As been said above, they've a great collection .You just need to have some of the main details like what station , and approx year as they manually search for the record.

The photo above was taken on a crappy phone as they have no facility to scan or print out.At some stage I might pop back in with one of those small mobile scanners to get a proper image

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kildarejohn

Thanks Kurgan, I had no idea there was that much info on the records. I must get into the IRRS one of these days soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭The Chieftain

In one branch of my ancestry in 1901 & 1911 census there were 4 brothers and some of their sons who all worked on the Railways, with jobs as porters, signalmen, ticket checkers and one station master.
    Can anyone comment on what the jobs involved e.g. were there qualifications or exams required to be signalman, or was it just experience? How did a man get promoted? What was status of different jobs?

Just to cover a few aspects that were not previously commented on.
    Careers and promotion in the railway companies tended to be strictly within the bounds of separate departments, i.e. locomotive, operating, civil engineering, station staff, etc.
    So, for example, a promotion path within the locomotive department was from cleaner, to fireman, to driver, and a driver could progress through different levels of seniority. I believe exams were indeed required for drivers, firemen, guards, and signalmen - the railway rulebook was and is complicated, and they had to be familiar with it. Note also that some Irish railway employees were employees of British companies, in which case one has to look to Britain - e.g. Fishguard and Rosslare Harbour Railway Co., and others.
    - Longtime IRRS member

• Advertisement
Advertisement