Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LLM Application

Options
  • 31-05-2015 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I am considering applying to both UCD and TCD for their LLM programmes. I graduated in 2014 from UCC and have since been interning in various capacities. I have a decent CV but my final overall grade was 58.8% (2.2).

I understand that I should just 'apply and find out' but the cost of applying is a consideration of mine. Any clarification or advice is welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jawn

Hi!

You didn't really ask a question. If you're wondering about things specific to the academic side of a masters, then maybe try the University's specific Boards pages. Are you wondering about how a masters will help you in legal practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭notabasicb

I think the OP is asking whether it is worth their while applying with a 2.2 when most programmes require a 2.1.

Why not just email the masters coordinator. I'd imagine their response will be something along the lines of while 2.1 is the stipulated min we are always open to considering all applications and will pay due regard to experience gained in the interim, mitigating reasons why you didn't get a 2.1, why you think you are ready/able for a masters.

You might as well email and ask. At least then when they are going through applications you may be flagged up as being interested enough in the course to really find out your chances. I wouldn't approach it from stance that you just don't want to lose the application fee.

I'd email the lecturer in charge of masters rather than law school admins. I'd imagine you are more likely to just get a stock/generic response from the latter given the amount of unsolicited emails they get everyday. The actual course coordinator has a bit more of a vested interest. Best of luck.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As above posts. Also for the course in mind, if it is gear towards a specific topic - eg Business - then if the specific graduate grades related to that which you might have earned are high then that might offset the overall average in the course co-ordinators mind. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

All the universities are hard-up and are crying out for ma$ter$ students to fund university resources in STEM subjects.

They are especially fond of postgrad study in law, commerce, and the humanities, where educating and supervising postgraduate students is cheap as chips.

The value of an LLM is debatable, but you asked about entry, and I don't believe a 2.2. is a serious barrier. Have a chat with the program co-ordinator. I know plenty of masters students with 2.2s.

Advertisement