Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quoting a song lyric in a book, do i need permission?

Options
  • 31-05-2015 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I hope this is in the correct section. Anyway, i am nearly finished writing a book and am now going over the smaller details. In one section i have quoted one line from a song to help make a point.

I'm curious to know if i need permission to use it? I've done a little internet searching and it seems to suggest that i do which surprised me, i had assumed (i know assumptions can be dangerous) it'd be ok as it is only one line, not a full verse.

The line in question is ....'i miss the comfort in being sad' and I have referenced the song and the composer so am not trying to take it as my own.

I would appreciate if anyone could shed some light on the copyright issue in using such a simple line, or if anyone has had to deal with a similar situation

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I think so, I seem to remember Paul Howard mentioning getting permission to use Bruce Springsteen lyrics in one of the Ross O'Carroll Kelly books.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭__plec__

Yeah that's what i thought, posted this thread more in hope than anything else. better start getting in touch with the relative people

thanks for the reply, appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Are you self publishing the book?

If not the publisher should know when it comes time to print. I don't think there should be an issue as quoting a lyric like this should be covered by fair use but I am not an expert at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭__plec__

I am submitting to publishers but have a backup plan for self publishing should a publisher not be interested. I've been reading up on the subject but it seems to be pretty grey, probably getting consent would be best.

I am considering just referencing it without using a direct quote which would avoid all this. Seems to be the quick and safer route.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Advertisement