Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Failed NCT on Emissions, any advice?

Options
  • 31-05-2015 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I had my 1998 Corolla E11, 1.3L 4E-FE with 167K in for the NCT yesterday and it failed.
    It has a leaking nearside rear shock and failed on emissions too.
    Can anyone make sense of these readings and suggest a fix please?

Engine/Oil Temperature 83 C

Low Idle (680 rpm)
    CO 0.13 vol% Above 0.50% Pass

High Idle (3,070 rpm)
    Lambda 0.98 not between 0.97 and 1.03 Pass
    CO 0.56 vol% Above 0.30% Fail
    HC 161 ppm Above 200ppm Pass

The car is generally only used for short school runs, so I ran a litre of Dipetane through it in two half tanks during the week.
    On the way to the test I drove at motorway speeds for about 40 mins and the car was tested within 10 mins of me arriving at the test centre.
    I serviced it on Thursday, oil, filters and plugs.
    Car is starting and driving like a dream.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I could borrow an OBD2 scanner from a friend, but my car has an older type Diagnostics port in the engine bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭martin gillespie

I could borrow an OBD2 scanner from a friend, but my car has an older type Diagnostics port in the engine bay.

On the emissions i buy CATHACLEAN from Halfords , the stuff is amazing , check it out online .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

well, could be oxygen sensor (lambda sensor) at fault, need to do diagnostics to see how it working, usually when lambda is out of range , and emissions are bad, thats more likely that sensor, needless to say, if driving extended time period with that fault, will lead to catalytic converter damage, which is quiet expensive. so would advice go to garage, which may check your oxygen sensor in work, an replace.

Can anyone tell me what type of scanner plugs into this thing please?
    Also, would a scan give me any idea of which component/s have failed, in order to cause the high emissions?

Thanks.

Anyone??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

Dunno what plugs in there, but that's not your obd port afaik.

It should be down by your left or right knee. With the age of the car in not sure whether it is obd or obdII.

It may also be possible to have any strewed codes glasses out to you on the display.

If you can connect with, for example, a Bluetooth obd and your smartphone, I would expect limited enough readings from a car of that age.

If you are near Kildare, I have an obd reader, will be happy to try it out

*edit* ok,a quick google this up this site http://www.troublecodes.net/toyota/

Which tells me that corollas from '96 onwards are obdII compliant

Cheers, if it has OBD2 I just can't find it!!!
    Checked everywhere, dash, behind ashtray, every nook and cranny.
    There is a template cut out for OBD2 beside the dash fusebox, but it's eh, not cut out and there's nothing behind it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Those Corollas don't have a standard OBDII 16 pin socket.

That socket you posted the pictures of is the diagnostic port. You need a Toyota specific adapter and Toyota specific software to scan the car.

From your emissions readings it looks like a possible cat issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Not that it will help this situation but if you follow this guide you can scan the car for faults without a reader.

diagnostic.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Can anyone tell me what type of scanner plugs into this thing please?
    Also, would a scan give me any idea of which component/s have failed, in order to cause the high emissions?

Thanks.

You can check for flash codes by using the method in the linked clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjH3xfb4DQY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

Corrected I stand :(

Advertisement