Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI postgrad

Options
  • 31-05-2015 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm trying to apply for a SUSI grant for my post grad as an independant student. The only way I can prove I live away from my parents is a copy of my lease from my landlord (non PRTB) and a bill in their name (I'm sharing with the landlord). Does anyone know if that be enough?
    The alternative it that I'll have to apply as a mature dependant. In that case both of my parents are retired (a teacher and soldier) getting their pensions from their jobs. Will their pensions count as reconable income? I'm unemployed, and have been unemployed for 2 years.
    Which of those two options would suit me better?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I thought SUSI didnt cover postgrads?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Albigatin

they do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Albigatin wrote: »
    I'm trying to apply for a SUSI grant for my post grad as an independant student. The only way I can prove I live away from my parents is a copy of my lease from my landlord (non PRTB) and a bill in their name (I'm sharing with the landlord). Does anyone know if that be enough?
    The alternative it that I'll have to apply as a mature dependant. In that case both of my parents are retired (a teacher and soldier) getting their pensions from their jobs. Will their pensions count as reconable income? I'm unemployed, and have been unemployed for 2 years.

When was your last course and how old are you now?

Yes, their income would count if you were to apply as a mature dependent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Albigatin

I finished my last course two years ago, and I'm now 23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

You are not eligible to be assessed as a mature independent for another year.

You must have a break of 3 years in your education before you can be re-classed at your point of re-entry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Red Soup

Albigatin wrote: »
    I'm unemployed, and have been unemployed for 2 years.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive but from a funding point of view you're better sitting on the dole for another year and applying in 2016. You'll be 24, which means you'll be eligible for the Back to Education Grant towards your postgrad, and you'll also be eligible for SUSI mature independent.

My friend did this, waited until he was 24 to go back to do his masters, and he's currently finishing a Springboard course (i.e. free masters course to those who have been are long-term unemployed http://www.springboardcourses.ie/) and has been receiving his Back to Education Grant every week by cheque which covers his rent and living.

Meanwhile, I worked abroad for the three years he was on the dole at home, and when I came back I was ineligible for any grants so it looks like i'll have to pay my €11,000 masters myself and €500 per month rent plus living with no support (apart from my part time job).

So at the end of it all i'll be in debt, and he won't. Smart move.

Advertisement