Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Scholarship

Options
  • 30-05-2015 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Afternoon guys,

I am an applicant for this year from the U.K. I have no access to funding from the banks but I have applied for the scholarship and am looking for anyone who has received it in the past who can help me with a few questions. Firstly, background etc. My mother and father are non-university educated, my dad is a handyman and my mum a care assistant, I am the first in my family to go to university.

I received the full bursary and grant in the UK due to low income during my first degree and have had a few barriers including working during university (had no choice) and messing up my GCSE's due to moving schools abroad.

Do you think I may have a good chance of getting it? I am married but my wife doesn't work, we rent and I have a warehouse job on ok money (25k a year)

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wheel47

Hi JackD123

I'm applying for the scholarship too. I think if you can evidence that you have received bursaries/grants for your prior education then they'll look favourably on it but that's just an opinion.

I'm struggling with getting all of the information together. Some people in my family are understandably unwilling to provide the information that they're asking for. I think it's a bit much and it's so silly that you don't find out until after the course starts whether you get it.

wheel47

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JackD123

Hi Wheel 47,

What do your parents do? I am trying to decide whether my parents fall into the socio-economic jobs they state.

I received the full grant etc and have evidenced that. It is difficult getting hold of everything but I think we may be going overboard, I spoke to one successful applicant who told me the only evidence he sent in was grant evidence and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dublindoctor

Hi Jack,

Im currently a UL student. I did not receive the scholarship but i know several in my class who have. It is based on income, being socioeconomically disadvantaged etc.

If you received a grant for undergrad it will will in your application.
    if your parents have a relatively low income it will help

I would stress that you could not have done your undergrad having not received the grant, and thus would need it for medicine too, and that money would be the major factor in you doing or not doing medicine etc...Do the best you can with the application because the scholarship is worth roughly 100k...there were 7 scholarships given to my year alone as far as im aware so you would have a good chance of getting it if you show that you deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dublindoctor

Hi Jack,

Im currently a UL student. I did not receive the scholarship but i know several in my class who have. It is based on income, being socioeconomically disadvantaged etc.

If you received a grant for undergrad it will will in your application.
    if your parents have a relatively low income it will help

I would stress that you could not have done your undergrad having not received the grant, and thus would need it for medicine too, and that money would be the major factor in you doing or not doing medicine etc...Do the best you can with the application because the scholarship is worth roughly 100k...there were 7 scholarships given to my year alone as far as im aware so you would have a good chance of getting it if you show that you deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JackD123

Thanks for the help :) I did receive the full grants,my parents have low payed jobs, non-university educated and one was on benefits for 9 months... not his proudest moment as he always has worked.

I stated that it's my only route into med in Ireland and that I worked during my undergrad to afford to live.

Stand a good chance with my situation? I don't know but I hope so. Only thing that might hold me back is I've been independent to my parents for two years and am married, although my wife doesn't work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement