Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering which college

Options
  • 30-05-2015 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Is ucd best cause reputation or nuig with the new school. What about trinity.. Dit... Dcu?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Dexster555 wrote: »
    Is ucd best cause reputation or nuig with the new school. What about trinity.. Dit... Dcu?
    What area of engineering ? The answer will change depending on what area you want to move into.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's a bit of an impossible question.

UL and DCU have work placements so that's good to have on your CV when you graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Dexster555

just wondering could people give me an idea on nuig engineering reputation compared to ucd etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dexster555 wrote: »
    just wondering could people give me an idea on nuig engineering reputation compared to ucd etc

What discipline?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Go to a college or university where a placement is included in third year of the course.
    Will really make you stand out from the other graduates with a few months real experience. Some courses are 5 years now with a Masters included.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Is it electrical, civil, biomedical, mechanical or another type of engineering you want to do?
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's a bit of an impossible question.

UL and DCU have work placements so that's good to have on your CV when you graduate.

NUIG does as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Go to a college or university where a placement is included in third year of the course.
    Will really make you stand out from the other graduates with a few months real experience. Some courses are 5 years now with a Masters included.

Or you could work in an engineering company each summer on your own time like I and many of my colleagues who didnt go to a college who did placements

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

godtabh wrote: »
    Or you could work in an engineering company each summer on your own time like I and many of my colleagues who didnt go to a college who did placements

Depending on discipline it can be hard to find, but not impossible. I did INTRA in DCU but also did another year where I found it myself. It was allot hard to find something when searching by myself, and the placement I found was marginally related to my field.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I have to say I found getting an eng job for the Summer after third year as a non runner. I had at that stage completed a 9 month work placement so wasn't completely green either.

Advertisement