Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why take watch off at night?

Options
  • 30-05-2015 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

Do you take your watch off in bed? If so, why? I never do and don't get why anyone should. Just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved from Personal Issues to the Watches forum (think that's a first for me!)

Personally, I always take my watch off at night. Stops it snagging in clothing and lets the skin underneath breathe. Stops sweat etc building up underneath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Last thing I do before I leave the house is put my watch on, first thing I do when I get home is take it off. Just can't wear it around the house let alone in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

When i owned a watch, wore it all the time, bed, shower, swimming, wherever.
    Lost it 2 years ago. Never replaced it. Miss it but just can't justify cost:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Yeah, mine comes off every night too. I suppose the reasons are:
    1) If you have a metal bracelet you dont want to get lint in between the links
    2) Mix that lint with a bit of sweat and you have a nice sticky goo that can be hard to shift. Sweat under a leather strap is not nice either, so taking the watch off at night allows you both to dry out a bit!
    3) Comfort
    4) The Mrs hates watches and would not let me in the bed with one on!
    5) Its hot in bed. I dont like the idea of an expensive watch going from cold to hot every day....expands and contracts the metal workings...increases the chances of a fracture or break in one of hte parts. This is probably me over thinking things though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd be terrified of accidentally damaging mine so it comes off. I think it's good to spend a fair portion of the day without it on so taking it off at bedtime is the perfect solution.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've a very small and slim by todays standards 80's Longines quartz that I sometimes forget to take off as I barely notice I'm wearing it, but that would be about it. Though one of my "tricks" for reviving early vintage quartz watches(especially the Girard Perregaux ones) is to wear it 24/7 including in the bed. You'd be surprised how many described as non working that has worked on. My theory is the teflon bearings in those take a shape if not worn for years(they're quite soft, not hard like jewels) and getting the heat into them softens them up enough for the arm movement to jog them into working again.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement