Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teacher maternity leave

Options
  • 30-05-2015 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

I am due in Sept. I know I start my maternity leave 2weeks before my due date and add 26 weeks onto this.
    Once that is up do we get any of the bank holidays that fall during this period added at the end?? Or is it just the 26 weeks?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

It has changed a bit but this is the updated info from ASTI site.
    ***************************************************************************************************

Calculating your Maternity Leave

1. Decide on which 26 weeks you will take for paid maternity leave:

you must take a minimum of two weeks before end of week of your expected week of confinement (a maximum of 22 weeks leave may be taken prior to the end of the the week in which your baby is due)
    you must take a minimum of four weeks after end of your expected week of confinement.
    2. You may then add on up to 16 consecutive weeks of additional unpaid leave.

3. You may apply to take unpaid leave of absence to the end of the school year (31st August).

4. The statutory entitlement to annual leave is 20 days plus public holidays, as teacher holidays exceed the statutory entitlement the Department of Education's obligation to give back days in lieu for annual leave and public holidays is normally met through existing school closures.

When availing of statutory maternity leave and if there are not enough school closure days in the leave year to absorb all annual leave entitlements, it is permitted to take the necessary days immediately before the maternity leave in the same year. Alternatively, teachers will be permitted to carry the balance forward to the following leave year but must then take these days during school closures. Teachers who resign/ retire or their employment ceases may be entitled to additional payment in lieu of their accrued leave.(In accordance with circular letter 0009/2013)

Maternity Leave Must be Taken in the Following Sequence:

Paid maternity leave (26 weeks)
    Statutory unpaid maternity leave (up to 16 weeks)
    Unpaid leave to the end of the school year (31st August)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Basically go 2 weeks at least before due date and count 26 weeks from that. All holidays etc get included. You do actually get to carry forward holidays etc BUT they must be taken when school is closed.....so you will be back after Easter unless you take unpaid leave.you should also ensure your principal knows the dates so they can try to get a good replacement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Essentially for paid leave it is 26 weeks in total. No bank holidays or additional days paid as I don't think there's any time of the year a teacher could go out that would be counted in the days off of he school already

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Remember that a new week begins on a Sunday.
    So if you were due on a Wednesday, you are counting back from the Sunday of your due date.
    This way, your maternity leave will start 8 days before your due date as opposed to 14.
    Every day counts the other side. :)

Advertisement