Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veneer roll/sheet for MDF - Dublin

Options
  • 30-05-2015 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi, i tried searching but couldn't find anything relevant!

Hopeing someone might know where i can find sheets or rolls of veneer that i can "glue" onto some mdf to make a unit i built look good.

Failing that, if you have other tips of finishing MDF to look/feel good.

Ideally don't want it TOO dark (to match the rest) and would have it feel smooth, as it is a desk project also!

Thanks guys. New to this whole woodworking thing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Try TP veneers Baldoyle industrial estate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Ideally you should have veneered the unit before assembly. If you find some veneer ( the easy bit ) your only hope is to use contact adhesive which is not ideal as you only get one shot at it.
    The big US outlet www.rockler.com sell 24" x 32 " 'peel and stick' veneers in rolls and in all the American species. It only takes a week or two to mail order stuff over here and that's what I would do. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭eoinp11

recipio wrote: »
    Ideally you should have veneered the unit before assembly. If you find some veneer ( the easy bit ) your only hope is to use contact adhesive which is not ideal as you only get one shot at it.
    The big US outlet www.rockler.com sell 24" x 32 " 'peel and stick' veneers in rolls and in all the American species. It only takes a week or two to mail order stuff over here and that's what I would do. Best of luck with it.

I haven't assembled yet so that is good news! I'll have a look at that site, hopefully not too expensive.

You reckon it would be a better option to stain it? maybe put a varnish over that?

eoinp11 wrote: »
    I haven't assembled yet so that is good news! I'll have a look at that site, hopefully not too expensive.

You reckon it would be a better option to stain it? maybe put a varnish over that?

Ah..........sorry, I misread your post.
    You have made it out of plain brown MDF ? The finished look is entirely down to what you want. You can turn MDF into wonderful furniture simply by applying veneer and there's nothing wrong with that. Its best to glue on a 4-6mm matching hardwood strip to protect the edge and veneer over it. If you want more info PM me.
    I have limited experience of painting MDF but I know it soaks up paint like blotting paper. There is a special edge sealer made by Rustins to stop the paint disappearing into the edge. Unless you have access to a professional spray booth you will probably have to use spray cans - primer and overcoat.
    You can of course try wood dyes and other coloured varnishes but I'd experiment on some scrap first.

I have sent a PM ..............let me know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement