Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shouting in pubs

Options
  • 29-05-2015 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,923 ✭✭✭✭

Why do people have to shout in pubs when there talking why can't they just speak normal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

WHAAAA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

One of the many reasons why I avoid pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Guessing consumption of alcohol have something to do with it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Cause usually some awful music is blaring so loud, you have to shout to actually have a conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Because they're drunk. Because there's music playing loudly so they've to speak up. Because our rat race world means they can cut loose and go back to their primal instincts for a few hours. Because they're exuberant at having looked death in the face yet another day and spitting in his eye. Because that sheer joy of living is what the ancient Celts venerated.

Choose life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Oh wah, oh wah, oh wah,
    Oh wah, oh wah, oh wah

Why do fools fall in love?
    Why do birds siiiinng so gay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Speak up will you!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,923 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'm in a pub where there's no music playing. There's a prick in the corner shouting his head off. Hopefully he ****s off soon lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

COZ WE WANT TO!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm shouting so other people can hear my funny observations too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I'm in a pub where there's no music playing. There's a prick in the corner shouting his head off. Hopefully he ****s off soon lol

Glass him!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

Nothing to do with loud music, just a modern trend, I blame the publicans for not telling them to be quiet. So annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

When a person gets intoxicated their hearing is less acute also their inhibitions are reduced so they think it OK to shout louder than is actually polite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Also, person A at Table A speaks louder to be heard by the rest of Table A due to people talking at Table B.
    Person B at Table B can now not hear other people at Table B, because of Person A, so Person B raises his voice.
    Person C at Table A didn't catch what Person D said because A and B are speaking over each other and goes "WHAT?"
    Person D shouts back at Person D while Persons A and B are competing.
    (Optional Steps: Person X at Table D thinks that Person D just insulted him as he was apparently shouting in his direction and chaos ensues)
    Person E sulks because he hates raising his voice and no-one can hear him anyway.
    Person F is off in their own little world because their hearing isn't very good in crowds.
    Persons G-H shout at Person F asking what drink he wants (or informing him that it's his turn to get the round, because Person F is well known to not pay attention to things).
    Table C get fed up and go out to the smoking area.

Then the live band start up and everyone follows to start the first steps again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Samaris wrote: »
    Also, person A at Table A speaks louder to be heard by the rest of Table A due to people talking at Table B.
    Person B at Table B can now not hear other people at Table B, because of Person A, so Person B raises his voice.
    Person C at Table A didn't catch what Person D said because A and B are speaking over each other and goes "WHAT?"
    Person D shouts back at Person D while Persons A and B are competing.
    (Optional Steps: Person X at Table D thinks that Person D just insulted him as he was apparently shouting in his direction and chaos ensues)
    Person E sulks because he hates raising his voice and no-one can hear him anyway.
    Person F is off in their own little world because their hearing isn't very good in crowds.
    Persons G-H shout at Person F asking what drink he wants (or informing him that it's his turn to get the round, because Person F is well known to not pay attention to things).
    Table C get fed up and go out to the smoking area.

Then the live band start up and everyone follows to start the first steps again.

Meanwhile person I, not having a clue about what's been said. Has spent the entire night inappropriately nodding and smiling, as they pretended to hear the conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Because what we have to say is mad good and everyone deserves to hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

It's cuz you can't hear I hate it. I prefer cafes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Unless you're in a quite pub during the day you kind of have to shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Cause usually some awful music is blaring so loud, you have to shout to actually have a conversation.

Yes, I know the feeling. Was in a rural hotel in some part of the West Midlands (East Galway area IIRC) once and there was awful Irish country music playing in the function room. It was €15 to go into it IIRC but you could hear it clearly in the small bar where I was and out onto the street as well. It was the first time I heard of the artist and unfortunately have heard him on TV far too often ever since. Mike Denver. And boy was he loud!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,067 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Meanwhile person I, not having a clue about what's been said. Has spent the entire night inappropriately nodding and smiling, as they pretended to hear the conversation.

This is me...I just gave up asking people to repeat things. Should prolly get my ears checked...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

At least he's enjoying himself,not sitting in a corner sneering at everyone and posting in after hours...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Why do people have to shout in pubs when there talking why can't they just speak normal

Why u no have grammar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

The irony of all these cnuts who shout and holler at each other is their obliviousness to the fact they're standing only a few feet from each other which negates the need for it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I think you should tell him how you feel. Right this second.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

This gets my goat too and the pubs with the really loud music where you have to roar into each others ear near busting the eardrum are the ones my friends always want to go to and im “old grump" for not wanting to go there to get women even though i never enjoyed them. If were stuck for a woman at then end of the night go to a fecking nightclub and try pull one but why waste 2 or 3 hours in a pub where every sentence is replied to with WHA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I love good music in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,923 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Why u no have grammar

I'm dyslexic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Once the shouting isn't from kids off their heads on lucozade or coke ill put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

My old boss used to shout at work. He used to say "I'm sorry for shouting. I'm from a small county called Kildare. If we don't shout, we get nothing !"

• Advertisement
Advertisement