Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bosch GTS10xc and Dakota Powered Router Table

Options
  • 29-05-2015 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Yep,,,i've got the woodwork bug alrite and its becoming a compulsion....no I jest. I always wanted to set up a nice workshop for myself and i'm going to give it a real go. Herre is my latest purchases. I although i havent put the Bosch thru its paces ..I'm mightily impressed. Not so happy with the Dakota table..opened the box to see the right leg was damaged and pretty flimsy plastic legs they are. The top is solid enuf...but i cant get my head around the acryilic guard around the collet. When i feed the material thru I wont be able to see it properly due to the not very transparent acrylic and whats with the angle of the guard itself, if u know what i mean....it is flat on the surface of the table...bit when u feed the material from right to left on the table the guard does not raise up or stay level with the stock....not a great set up. I suppose i will get rid of the guard at some stage and put some other arrangement in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Sean, I don't want to hog the whole Boards website but if nobody else is going to answer :rolleyes:..............
    Remove that plastic guard completely. Manufactures think they are a safety feature but its much more important to see the router cutter clearly. Common sense is the best safety feature ?
    Try and rig up some kind of dust extraction - router tables produce loads of dust - and take small 'nibbles' instead of hogging out a lot of wood. Did you measure the table slot size ?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean Farrell

i dont think anybody else is on boards this weekend ...they are all enjoying the beautiful weather we are having on this bank Holiday weekend I beliieve. The mitre slot is too small to accomodate that Incra I box jig....and the way it is at the mo....that purchase will be quite a while. I will be making my own routing table hopefully
    this summer...that website u gave me recipio where u get
    ur spiral bits looks good for sourcing all the gizmos for it. They say its pretty easy to make a table of ur own...i think the most time consuming , apart from marking out for the insert plate is searching around for all the bells & whistles .ie t track, featherboards, dust guards etc. Its a case of salvaging whats around the garage and checking markets first and then the interwebby thingy. That project is on the backburner for now

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean Farrell

I will have to make something up for the tablesaw and routertable...i think they are too high on that table c photo above

a lower position....would be safer and easier to operate

i dont think anybody else is on boards this weekend ...they are all enjoying the beautiful weather we are having on this bank Holiday weekend I beliieve. The mitre slot is too small to accomodate that Incra I box jig....and the way it is at the mo....that purchase will be quite a while. I will be making my own routing table hopefully
    this summer...that website u gave me recipio where u get
    ur spiral bits looks good for sourcing all the gizmos for it. They say its pretty easy to make a table of ur own...i think the most time consuming , apart from marking out for the insert plate is searching around for all the bells & whistles .ie t track, featherboards, dust guards etc. Its a case of salvaging whats around the garage and checking markets first and then the interwebby thingy. That project is on the backburner for now

I'm not so sure. By the time you have bought everything above you probably have the price of a budget table. An insert is essential as you lose a lot of router height with a thick table. It has to be dead flat so no MDF - it sags.
    I think I would be inclined to channel the funds into a 1/4" router for that Dakota table. www.axminster.co.uk will send you all the bits and pieces if you do decide to make your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 flush1

no need to channel his funds for a router for the dakota table,as there is a built in 2hp router in it already with a rise and fall operated from wheel on front.a handy machine for making up small mouldings etc.the main plus is that u can change the cutter above the table by rising the collet with the rise fall wheel.the feather boards are good enough that come with it also.

• Advertisement

flush1 wrote: »
    no need to channel his funds for a router for the dakota table,as there is a built in 2hp router in it already with a rise and fall operated from wheel on front.a handy machine for making up small mouldings etc.the main plus is that u can change the cutter above the table by rising the collet with the rise fall wheel.the feather boards are good enough that come with it also.

Thanks, that's a first one on me. Its still very handy to have both 1/2" and 1/4" separate tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 flush1

very true,i have a 3.5 hp router mounted on a heavy duty table.i have the dakota one over 2 years now and as i said its handy for running off small stuff.the fact u can change the bits above the table is a godsend with the aid of rise and fall wheel.it is well worth it for the money.take off that stupid plastic guard because it is a pain when u are changing cutters it keeps falling down.also close off the sides with a few pieces of ply because alot of dust escapes even when u have it piped with an extraction

Advertisement