Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic Car Reg Plates

Options
  • 29-05-2015 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Just registered a 1985 Porsche 924 and opted for the 85 D XXXXX style plate as opposed to the ZV style, I think it suits the car better because its white. I read on here that pre 92 cars don't need to display the IRL blue identifier, anyone know if thats true? Can't find any info on it online.

Was hoping to get a clean black on white font without the IRL on side or Baile Atha Cliath above. Any advice would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭d-don

eric90000 wrote: »
    Just registered a 1985 Porsche 924 and opted for the 85 D XXXXX style plate as opposed to the ZV style, I think it suits the car better because its white. I read on here that pre 92 cars don't need to display the IRL blue identifier, anyone know if thats true? Can't find any info on it online.

Was hoping to get a clean black on white font without the IRL on side or Baile Atha Cliath above. Any advice would be great!

Really good question ... Will watch this post for the same answer ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

d-don wrote: »
    Really good question ... Will watch this post for the same answer ....

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/format-vehicle-registration-plates.html

The Registration Plate formats above do not apply to vehicles registered prior to 1 January, 1993.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

it is true you can do this. I have my 87 camper on a plain white plate, and it got through the CVRT/DoE like that. However, strictly you should have the IRL flash as your vehicle has been registered after that date in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

woejus wrote: »
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/format-vehicle-registration-plates.html

The Registration Plate formats above do not apply to vehicles registered prior to 1 January, 1993.

Does that mean first registered or first registered in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

there's the thing. I think it is meant to mean first reg in Ireland but as it is applied, it seems to be OK to use old style plates on re-registered vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

I would have thought that vehicles first registered from 01/01/1991 would need the Euro plates but for some reason section 4 says 01/01/1993!

So according to that section, imported cars registered between 01/01/1991 and 31/12/1992 can use any plate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

w124man wrote: »
    I would have thought that vehicles first registered from 01/01/1991 would need the Euro plates but for some reason section 4 says 01/01/1993!

So according to that section, imported cars registered between 01/01/1991 and 31/12/1992 can use any plate!

I was of the opinion that vehicles registered from 1/1/91 had to display the Euro plates. Back at this point in time it also put an end to people buying a car in September and driving it around For Reg until January and getting a later year plate?????;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

I've these plates on a 92 import. No trouble at revenue stops or garda stops. NCT will probably reject it as their non-legal rules say no.

I have that revenue sheet printed out in the glovebox.

I think the "prior to 1993" was just to cover anyone who got a non-euro plate in that time 91-end 92, but as it stands, that revenue note covers anyone with a car before 1993. I'm thinking of those old pressed metal square letter black and white plates etc.

Since 1987 your plates have to be reflective. I have just wasted two hours of my life looking for the statute saying so but I cant find it.

Im going out to dinner now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

there's the thing. I think it is meant to mean first reg in Ireland but as it is applied, it seems to be OK to use old style plates on re-registered vehicles.

I'm going to interpret what's on the revenue site as when the vehicle was first registered in it's own country:

This Registration plate format applies to all vehicles that were first registered, on or before 31 December 2012, either in Ireland or in another state.

Since 1987 your plates have to be reflective. I have just wasted two hours of my life looking for the statute saying so but I cant find it.

Im going out to dinner now!

An excuse for me to replace my black plates so! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I have just wasted two hours of my life looking for the statute saying so but I cant find it.

You could of just asked me like :P (took about five minutes)
    1987-1990 plates:

Can either be "Euro" plates or comply with the PART II amendment ROAD VEHICLES (REGISTRATION AND LICENSING) (AMENDMENT) REGULATIONS, 1986 (S.I. No. 441/1986)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60948432&postcount=8

Now, I'm gonna have my dinner!

macplaxton wrote: »

Now, I'm gonna have my dinner!

What did you have?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

yes what is on your Plate :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Can't remember as it was a couple of days ago now. That's the trouble with working random shifts. Might have been beans on toast.

I've got too much on my plate at the minute. :D

Advertisement